Looking for ORIGINAL Antron fleece!

KristoferSP

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I'm new to posting here....but I've been reading posts for a few years now! :0)

My reason for posting (finally!) is I'm in need of some Antron fleece....the original before they changed the fibers.

I know that this is a BIG task, but if anyone out there has any they're willing to sell, just name your price!

I only need 1 yard for a build I have. I really don't like this "newer" fiber formulation. I have had zero success getting it to shave down to how it should be. :/

Thanks!

Slackbot

Reaction score
All I can say is good luck. Considering how much demand there has been for it since they stopped production and then replaced it with "Antron Lite", I'd be surprised if there was a square inch anywhere outside of a locked puppetry supply vault.

(When did the changeover happen? Anyone know?)

KristoferSP

Reaction score
Yeah.... I know.

I don't remember when the exact switch took place, but I do know it was soon after I got into building. I started building in 2004. I only ever had 1 yard of the original stuff... and it was GREAT! This new kind, not so much. (I feel cheated! LOL)

WillyThePig

Reaction score
good luck finding any...it's been out of production for a long time and anyone who has some probably won't be willing to sell...the new stuff isn't so bad I've used it before but most of the time I use just regular chap anti-pill fleece from Joann fabrics and can usually get good seam picking results from it.

KristoferSP

Reaction score
I've used the new stuff for a few things. I just don't like it because you can't shave it down like the old stuff and get that excellent result - the same look that all the Muppets have. BUT I haven't given up yet on finding a way to make the new stuff work!

I am, however, willing to pay $35 (possibly more) for a single yard of the original.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've never used the old stuff, so I can't compare old with new. I've heard that if you want the new to behave more like the old you can brush it to loosen the fibers up.

muppet88

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the current muppets made for Sesame Street and the recent muppet movie are using the newer 12oz antron fleece? Or do they have a giant stockpile of the old, or are they able to get it custom made for them?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't know which they are using but no one can get the original fleece anymore (it was discontinued in 2005). The actual fibre that is used to make it is no longer manufactured, which is why the new fleece isn't the same as the old fleece.

muppet88

Reaction score
I bet if there was enough interest (and a lot of research and development) we could start a kickstarter campaign to produce the original fibre and the original antron fleece again...