1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mary Louise, Feb 16, 2011.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I watch music videos from the 1980s a lot more than videos from later. While I agree some do feel like they tell stories (Take on Me, Beat It, I Promise You, Love is a Battlefield, maybe Can't Fight This Feeling), it seems to me like they are more about quick cutting and special effects. And I had no idea of 10-minute music videos existing back then. Every '80s music video I've seen on YouTube seems to last under 5 minutes.
  2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

You Tube portrays an abbreviated version of music video history. One that depends on the user's taste rather than MTV's programmed lineup that included many artists. MTV was a much different place in the 80's. I'm part of that generation when it kind of was our You Tube. While most videos were about 3-5 minutes, "Thriller" length videos were often peppered into the mix.

I'm convinced that Jim was referring to his creating visual and thematic vignettes in order to fit traditionally larger stories into the 2o minute format. This sort of creative device was most common in commercials and music videos (i.e. music commercials) at the time the Henson Hour was conceived. I don't think the intention was to have Labyrinth-style songs and dances or to update the tales with a modern flare. Of course, this is just my take. I was a kid when MTV hit it big and a high-schooler when the Jim Henson Hour was part of the NBC lineup.

I think Jim was speaking in more of an abstract rather than the literal interpretation. ;)
  3. JustinHoskie

JustinHoskie Member

It's not really a visual thing, but it took me a few viewings, and a pair of headphones, to notice it. During "Life's a Happy Song", if you listen, Walter screams "Not again!" when Gary accidentally launches him off the seesaw. (Which leads to the question "If this has happened multiple times before, why does he get back on it?" :skeptical: )
  4. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

In the Muppets, they say the contract includes the rights to the studios, and I don't remember if they mentioned the theatre included, but if he did, what happened to the contract in IAVMMCM that said the theatre can never be torn down or changed?

When explaining the plot point, Statler and Waldorf said the Muppets signed a contract 30 years ago, even though it was more. Then it in the menu, Waldorf said he hasn't liked the Muppets for 40 years, why start? Is it just me, or is he getting too old?
  5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

During the "Life's a Happy Song" number, in the shot of Walter sitting on a bench, did anybody notice what the extras were doing?
  6. JustinHoskie

JustinHoskie Member

HA! It looks like they're all resting, stretching, and warming-up for the rest of the dance number! :)
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  7. mo

mo Well-Known Member

jim henson twice in the muppets :)
  8. Mo Frackle

In the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video, during the bit where Johnny and Sal are singing "ooh yeah", one can clearly hear Johnny under all of the loud chorus singing. And is it just me, or can one also faintly hear Sal? Obviously, Brian Henson wasn't able to perform Sal for this, so it sounds like somebody else is doing Sal.
  9. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

In the Muppets, they need 1 million dollars to save the theatre, but if Piggy wsa a fashion editor, and Gonzo was a plumbing magnate, why didn't they just pay it off?
  10. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What?
  11. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

It's weird though. Becuase it's shot from the same angle. (Unless they changed the sign).
    (It's a cool sign though, it just magially goes up when someone enters Smalltown.)

Answering the first question:
    I and many other people here had this question.
    It's not the same continuity. It's a whole different story. (Plus the theaters are in different places.) Some people said this movie's a remake of IAVMMCM. That's good, becuase it makes up for that special.

Question numbah 2:
    That's true, later on in the movie they say "Now you know how we felt for the past forty years!'
    So if the movies are going according to real time then it's.. umm.. *counts on fingers* about 33 years! But of course the year the movie came out (TMM) isn't WHEN it happened, it happened before. So when, we'll never know. But Waldorf did say he signed it over thirty years ago. So who knows. They're so old they lost track, DOHOHO!

Sorry to quote you so many times. (They actually need ten million dollars to save the theater and studio)
    Gonzo does blow up his plumbing business and that's where all the money went (Wocka Wocka, get it? The money went down the drain, get it, becuase he's a plumber and.. oh never mind)
    I don't really know why Piggy couldn't, but then it would be a really short movie.
    miss kermie likes this.
  12. Mo Frackle

In a deleted scene, it's revealed that Gonzo had just enough money to save the theater, but accidentally left it on the top floor of the building he blew up.
    Muppet fan 123 and miss kermie like this.
  13. Mo Frackle

Justin Hoskie answered this for me:
  14. mo

mo Well-Known Member

when grovers singing proud of me and goes round the barrel you can quite clearly but still not distractedly see frank oz's wrist.
  15. Hartley

Hartley Member

This is a great thread. One of my favourite easily-missed details is that Kermit has his own personalised teacup on his desk backstage, but it's clearly just an old china cup that he's written his own name on :)
    miss kermie and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  16. minor muppetz

Is it just me, or does the theme heard at the beginning of Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff (and possibly other compilation videos) sound like the closing theme from the Kaye Ballard episode?
  17. PanthraDion

PanthraDion Well-Known Member

I've noticed from watching TMS season 4 on youtube that at the very end during the credits, when the camera goes to Rolf, you can hear him turn the page.
  18. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is in "Letters to Santa". Once they find out that you can fly to the north pole, Rizzo says "Who wants to go to the North Pole?". During the movie, another puppeteer was performing rizzo (as Steve was doing Kermit), and Steve later dubbed over the lines. This line however was left undubbed for some reason....:shifty:
  19. Mo Frackle

Probably just a post-production mistake. The same thing happened at one point in "Muppets from Space". The Swedish Chef's line about the oven blowing up was supposed to have been done by Bill Barretta, but he was busy doing Pepe in this scene. Dave Goelz took over for the Chef for this scene, but the editor (or whoever is in charge of the dubbing) apparently missed this bit.

By the way, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Peter Linz was doing Rizzo in that scene from LTS.
  20. minor muppetz

On a Muppet Wiki talk page it was said that Dave Goelz didn't perform the Chef there. That user said it was confirmed by either Goelz or Barretta. And since the Chef was off-screen when he spoke that line, there wouldn't have really been a need for somebody else to perform him there.