Little things we've noticed

cjd874

Reaction score
So...Bert and Ernie are old enough that they've got a nephew (Brad) or niece (Ernestine). Neither one of the roommates has a job. How come Grover, who is psychologically written to represent a four-year old, is working as a waiter, salesman, elevator operator, farmer, and superhero?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, age doesn't matter for having nephews or nieces. And Ernestine is Ernie's little cousin, not niece.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Something I thought of the other day. Grover always mentioned (still mentions?) his mother. Does he ever mention his father? (He's GOT to have one,right?)

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The only time I remember Grover mentioning his father was in a couple storybook but, he mentions his mother in two the recent episodes and of them a cameo of her.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Something I thought of the other day. Grover always mentioned (still mentions?) his mother. Does he ever mention his father? Or do you think Grover was :eek:illegetimate??
As far as I know, I don't think he's been mentioned on the actual show, but he has been briefly alluded to in a few books.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Grover's_Daddy

I've kind of been wondering the same thing about Big Bird's family. He's mentioned his mom, dad and his sister, but you never actually see them. Clearly Big Bird is a child, so why does he live alone? Did his family die? So than, why doesn't he live with his Granny Bird, she's clearly around. And another thing, if the feathered friends on "Follow That Bird" were so concerned about Big Bird having a bird family, clearly something must've happened to his real family. And once again, why didn't they just send him to live with his Granny?!? Not only that but, he apparently also still has a grandpa, why didn't he take care of Big Bird? Not only that but, he has hundreds of aunts, uncles and cousins from all over the world.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've kind of been wondering the same thing about Big Bird's family. He's mentioned his mom, dad and his sister, but you never actually see them. Clearly Big Bird is a child, so why does he live alone? Did his family die? So than, why doesn't he live with his Granny Bird, she's clearly around. And another thing, if the feathered friends on "Follow That Bird" were so concerned about Big Bird having a bird family, clearly something must've happened to his real family. And once again, why didn't they just send him to live with his Granny?!? Not only that but, he apparently also still has a grandpa, why didn't he take care of Big Bird? Not only that but, he has hundreds of aunts, uncles and cousins from all over the world.
Maybe in the world of Sesame Street, birds get to live on their own at younger ages (in FTB, the concern was that there aren't any birds around him, not that he seems to be an orphan).

Also to note that originally, Big Bird was meant to be an adult. He wasn't portrayed as a child until the second season (or at least by the start of the season). Don't know if he was ever referred to as an adult in the first season.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Something I just noticed about the old Day Care Center from Around the Corner – nearly all of the major Muppets have attended or visited Gina's day care (Big Bird, Snuffy, Zoe, Baby Bear, Rosita, Herry, Telly, Frazzle, etc.) ... except one. One little red 3-year-old monster who we all should probably know.

I find that interesting, since Zoe was a regular attendee, and she's basically the female counterpart of Elmo. Elmo apparently did attend Lillian's day care once, but that was way back in the early 1990s. So aside from that, why didn't he visit day care during the ATC era? Was he too young?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I'm honestly thinking more that they want to flesh out other characters at this time and not always having reliable on Kevin because of the filming of Muppets tonight and Muppets Treasure Island.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Something I just noticed about the old Day Care Center from Around the Corner – nearly all of the major Muppets have attended or visited Gina's day care (Big Bird, Snuffy, Zoe, Baby Bear, Rosita, Herry, Telly, Frazzle, etc.) ... except one. One little red 3-year-old monster who we all should probably know.

I find that interesting, since Zoe was a regular attendee, and she's basically the female counterpart of Elmo. Elmo apparently did attend Lillian's day care once, but that was way back in the early 1990s. So aside from that, why didn't he visit day care during the ATC era? Was he too young?
He was there in the Telling the Truth video.