Little things we've noticed

cjd874

Reaction score
They recycled limbo sets quite a bit - more than likely to save time and money. I'm pretty sure the set for Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School was reused for things like School in the Afternoon and the Count's first day in school, and whatnot. And how many times have we seen that facade that looks like a reverse version of 123 in Muppet inserts that take place in a city setting?
Are you talking about the 1970s city backdrop seen in the "City/Country Song" and "Super Grover: Bus Stop" segments? Or the 1980s one from "I Love My Elbows" and "Cooperation Makes It Happen"?

Last edited:

cjd874

Reaction score
The latter.
Got it! I never noticed how cool all these backdrops are before. I do remember other musical inserts with these detailed backdrops like "Born to Add" and "Hace Calor." Not to mention the great playground backdrop in "I Can't Get No Cooperation." That one has always stood out to me for some reason. Oh, and the farm backdrop that they used in the 1970s.

Being an aesthetically inclined person, I appreciate the work that the Sesame Street scenery designers put in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Being an aesthetically inclined person, I appreciate the work that the Sesame Street scenery designers put in.
Yes, another reason why I'm put off by the excessive CGI and chromakey they use nowadays.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I always loved those backdrops/city settings.

I especially liked seeing the first one at night (on the subway, Danger's No Stranger, the Dragnet Wanted W skit, etc.)

cjd874

Reaction score
There is such a stark contrast between the various backgrounds that they used on SS. Come to think of it, there have been so many backgrounds over the years:
  • The hand-painted city/country landscapes
  • The solid-colored backgrounds that they basically still use today (blue, green, pink, beige, black, orange, etc.)
  • Specially constructed sets (the Count's castle, Ernie and Bert's apartment, Charlie's Restaurant, Monsterpiece Theatre, classrooms, the park from the 1990s, etc.)
  • The "reverse-123" facade from "Cooperation Makes It Happen," "Born to Add," and "I Love My Elbows"
  • Of course, Sesame Street itself is a masterpiece, not to mention the "Around the Corner" expansion

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You know, random note, but speaking of those solid color background drops, whenever I watch a Waiter Grover skit and Grover heads to the "kitchen" to see Charlie, I always like to spot what kind of backdrop they use behind the doors.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
In "Surprise!" (Little Jerry song), I noticed (and found it to be a little odd) that Rockin' Richard had angry eyebrows under his early 70's Tarzan-styled hair.

I dunno if that was just to give him a menacing "caveman" look, but still..... Weird, man. Weird.

Also, that proto Green Monotone, of course, has Big Jeffy's hat. :stick_out_tongue:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I noticed the captions incorrectly label Grover as Elmo on the Ray Charles alphabet video.

(On an unrelated subject, I wish there was a piano sheet for the chords played in his performance).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Closed captions for anything SST never match the actual dialogue that's being spoken . . . I guess whoever does the captioning figure little kids can't real full and complete sentences yet, so they just overly simplify the lines for them.