Little Jerry & The Monotones:Muppet Encarnations of Muppeteers?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I know that Lil' Jerry was performed by Jerry Nelson.But the brown bearded blue muppet in his band looks to be a possible muppet version of Jim Henson.
Could Jerry & The Monotones possibley have been muppet incarnations of some of the muppeteers?

Son of Enik

Reaction score
You know...I think you are on to something! After reading your post, I popped in my "Sunny Days" DVD and thought, "Wow, they DO look like the Muppeteers!" Well said!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That theory has been advanced, yes.

Although... The characters' names should have been the clues.
Little Jerry = Jerry Nelson.
Chrissy = Christopher Cerf.
Rockin' Richard = Richard Hunt.
Big Jeffy, the one you said looked like Jim is actually Jeff Moss.
There is a fifth lavender Monotone in the song Body Full Of Rhythm who for the moment is as yet unidentified as to which Muppeteer performed him.
Hope this helps. :wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Jeff Moss and Christopher Cerf only provided voices, not puppetry. It's possible that Jim Henson might have done the puppeteering for Big Jeffy, but I don't know for sure. Big Jeffy is the only member who looks like any Muppet performer.

In early sketches it seems like the performers were not always consistient (though Little Jerry and Big Jeffy were usually always performed by their main performers). The group began back when Richard Hunt was just a background performer, rarely doing voices at the time, and I don't think Christopher Cerf was involved with the show until 1974. I don't think the group was named Little Jerry and the Monotones until The Official Sesame Street 2 Book-and-Record came out, and I don't think the back-up singers were named until after the song "Four" came out.