Lime in the Coconut

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I have a question about the song Lime in the Coconut. Who is the woman singing in it? Is it a guest star or Muppet? If a Muppet which puppeteer does the voice? I've always wondered about that while listening to the song since I've never seen it on the Muppet Show so hopefully someone could put my questions to rest. Thank you.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
The two female Muppeteers who sang that song were Louise Gold and Kathyrn Mullen. The predominant one in the song (the one you are probably referring to) is Ms. Gold.

- Billy :cool:

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I can now sleep well at night knowing the answer. :flirt:

Frazzle

Reaction score
janicegroupie said:
I have a question about the song Lime in the Coconut. Who is the woman singing in it? Is it a guest star or Muppet? If a Muppet which puppeteer does the voice? I've always wondered about that while listening to the song since I've never seen it on the Muppet Show so hopefully someone could put my questions to rest. Thank you.
Would you like the MP3 version of that song? I have it & if you would like it, I'll send it to you if you send me an email.:smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think this classic sung by the Muppets gets burned into your memory, you should at least do yourself the favor of searching out and listening to the original version recorded by Harry Nielsen. I know, I was just as shocked as you are to find out that this song was recorded by a human recording star before it became a song remade by the Muppets on TMS. Hope this helps and have a good night.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Frazzle said:
Would you like the MP3 version of that song? I have it & if you would like it, I'll send it to you if you send me an email.:smile:
I actually had someone burn it onto a cd for me already but thank you for the offer. If I didn't have it I would jump at the offer for a Muppet song. :flirt: And yeah The Count I think I will check out the original. It is quite odd that an actual human sang the song first. Who would've thought.

Frazzle

Reaction score
You know, when I was younger, I thought it was Joni Mitchell doing the vocals on that song.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Up until now I always thought it was some guest star too not a Muppet. She just sounds different than any other Muppets. I guess it shows Louise Gold's amazing vocal abilities since it sounds so different from any other voice. And off subject Frazzle I read your profile and 80s pop culture is awesome! :excited:

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I'm a Nilsson junkie, so lemme help. It's Harry Nilsson, not Neilsen or whatever, and he's a genius. Simon Smith and His Dancing Bear was written by Randy Newman, but Harry Nilsson made it better known. I'm trying to think if there were any other Nilsson songs on The Muppet Show. Hmm. Regardless, you probably know his music a lot better than you think. You know, "One" (as in, "one is the lonliest number"), "Me And My Arrow," "Without You" ("can't live if livin' is without you," didn't write it but made it famous), the Popeye soundtrack, etc. etc.

Sorry to ramble, but I really love the guy.

And by the way, "Cocoanut" is total druggie humor.

-Chris

Skekayuk

Reaction score
janicegroupie said:
Up until now I always thought it was some guest star too not a Muppet. She just sounds different than any other Muppets. I guess it shows Louise Gold's amazing vocal abilities since it sounds so different from any other voice. And off subject Frazzle I read your profile and 80s pop culture is awesome! :excited:
Well actually that's one of the few occassions on TMS (or indeed anywhere in her Muppet work) where Louise Gold might actually be using something approaching her normal voice!. Still she does have rather amazing vocal abilities (amongst her various vocal talents, she does a mindblowing Ethel Merman imitiation).