Lighthouse Island from The Jim Henson Hour

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Assuming other people remember this second-half episode of the Jim Henson Hour, titled "Lighthouse Island", written by Jerry Juhl and starring Chris Makepeace, does anyone know where it was filmed? My first instinct is Canada (though where in Canada?), but IMDB.com doesn't have anything. Any thoughts?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
sorry I really don't know I always thought it was england by the look of things and the people used in it.
I'm glad some one brought this up!
I love this and have it on vhs!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Well, I know Chris Makepeace is from Canada, and I'm pretty certain most of the cast members (besides Jerry Nelson) were Canadian. Of course, it wouldn't shock me to find that I'm completely wrong and that it was shot in England. I just wish I knew for sure! I know it's meant to come across as a semi-mythological world-meets New England (like Pete's Dragon), but other than that, I'm stumped.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
you know I've been wondering is that really jerry nerlson or just some one else and jerry is doing the voice of the man. It's always botherd me.:confused:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
you know I've been wondering is that really jerry nerlson or just some one else and jerry is doing the voice of the man. It's always botherd me.:confused:
If Jerry Nelson was just the voice, wouldn't he get a "featuring the voice of Jerry Nelson" credit, instead of just being listed among the cast?

I thought it might have been filmed in England, but then again, The Jim Henson Hour (or at least the MuppeTelevision segments) was filmed in Canada.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No it's definitely Jerry Nelson playing the part as well.

I love Lighthouse Island, especially the music. I never thought about where it was filmed. I agree it does sort of remind me of New England. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was Canada. Hopefully someone will find out where at some point.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
It definitely looks like areas of Canada that were used to simulate New England in countless films. And Jerry Nelson has discussed his role in Lighthouse Island in interviews, so it really is him, for a fact.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson has discussed his role in Lighthouse Island in interviews, so it really is him, for a fact.
Where? When? Do you have any quotes? What did he talk about?

I wonder how much of The Jim Henson Hour was filmed in Canada. I know that the MuppeTelevision segments were, and I'm pretty sure that Jim Henson's introductions and closings were. I guess anything with canadian performers were performed in Canada. I'm sure that The StoryTeller segments were filemd in england (they were all produced on their own, and I guess originally meant to be seen outside of JHH). Miss Piggy's Hollywood was obviously filmed in California.

DoctorM

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I can help you all out.

"Lighthouse Island" was filmed at Peggys Cove in Halifax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggys_Cove,_Nova

Jim Henson had seen the place. was struck by its interesting landscape and rock formations and decided he wanted to film a show there.

The show itself, was filmed as a pilot for a series that was to center around Lighthouse Island, its strange inhabitants and the people that visit. Chris Makepeace was intended to only be a guest for the first episode.

An interesting fact about this show that doesn't seem to be noted in the credits or elsewhere is that George Lucas' people (I assume ILM) did creature work for it. They built the sea monster for Henson.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I can help you all out.
"Lighthouse Island" was filmed at Peggys Cove in Halifax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggys_Cove,_Nova

Jim Henson had seen the place. was struck by its interesting landscape and rock formations and decided he wanted to film a show there.

The show itself, was filmed as a pilot for a series that was to center around Lighthouse Island, its strange inhabitants and the people that visit. Chris Makepeace was intended to only be a guest for the first episode.

An interesting fact about this show that doesn't seem to be noted in the credits or elsewhere is that George Lucas' people (I assume ILM) did creature work for it. They built the sea monster for Henson.
That's interesting information. Where did you find all that info? I guess it must have been the kind of anthology series with the same setting but different characters per show. It's hard to beleive that a Henson-produced production would employ another effects company to make animatronic characters (according to Muppet Wiki the creature shop just supplied effects).

Any idea of the pilot was made but unsold before The Jim Henson Hour began, or if it was intended to be a regular series outside of The Jim Henson Hour, or if it would have been a regualr part of JHH (if the show had continued)?