Let's Render!

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
I think I've come up with a good idea for those of us with VCD capabilities. I've noticed a lot of you have large lists of video files either in mpg or avi format already. I, myself, have started the task of converting my classic skits to VCD ready format. Therefore, someone needs only to look at my list, send me a list of "requests" for trade, and I only have to drag the files to my burn program to make a custom requested VCD. This way, we can watch the discs in most DVD players and not only on our computers.

If you have a large list of mpg files not ready for VCD, there is free software called TMPGEnc that has an MPEG TOOLS section that will convert these to VCD compliant files in a matter of seconds! If they are in AVI format, this program will convert those too, it just takes a bit longer. BUT...then we can all be ready for "request" discs and can do trades of classic skits easily and efficiently!

If anyone would like, once you get this software, I could help guide you through it to speed the processing along. (I have been running this program on my Virtual PC, since I have a Mac, and it works great. If you are running it on an actual PC, it's even faster!)

For those of you in this situation, let me know what you think of the idea. I think it will get everyone's collection moving along a bit faster and make trading of custom VCDs even easier.

let me know!

later
eric

Oliver

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I'd much prefer to trade full episodes in order to obtain a complete catalogue from the SS archives. Btw, does the vcd transfer process sacrifice video quality at all?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Oliver said:
I don't know about anyone else but I'd much prefer to trade full episodes in order to obtain a complete catalogue from the SS archives. Btw, does the vcd transfer process sacrifice video quality at all?
Of course I also believe this would be ideal, it's just that I noticed that several people have "lists" of separated skits that they are storing on their computers. This would be a good way to at least share some bits we haven't seen in a while (or at all) until obtaining the complete episode.

I use VCD as my main VHS archiving backup, as the number of lines of resolution is about the same. If you don't mind VHS quality, you won't mind VCD quality (if done properly, just like VHS!) and there's no rewinding! Also repeated views of the program do not wear the disc out as quickly as a tape. (You're supposed to get 100 years life out of a CD as opposed to 20-30 plays from a tape).

I'll obviously trade on VHS and convert it myself later. That's not a huge problem (I'm doing a few episodes of The Muppet Show per week as it is!)

later
eric

prickle747

Reaction score
yup some us have large lists of sesame street skits or sketches

can't get enough of that old stuff........always ones the jog the mind.

i find with storing them as data format alot more can be stored on 1 disk and can be added for later date

can you add on with vcd format if the cd is not quite full ?

ahhh no biggie when cd'r are so cheap :smile:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
prickle747 said:
yup some us have large lists of sesame street skits or sketches

i find with storing them as data format alot more can be stored on 1 disk and can be added for later date

can you add on with vcd format if the cd is not quite full ?

ahhh no biggie when cd'r are so cheap :smile:
I just want to clarify that of course I'll trade with anyone, but that MY library will be in VCD format. I was only suggesting that this was a quick effecient way to catalogue them. After posting the original thread, I got to thinking that it doesn't even matter. I can convert MPG files very quickly for myself and just make them VCD compliant to add to my own library. MPG and AVI take up a bit less space, true, but it's also true that a CD-R is less than a buck! Anyone wishing to trade with me, hang in there, I'm right smack in the middle of doing my conversions, and will have a list once it is respectable, for people to send me requests, and I will have requests for you guys, I'm sure.

let's just keep the trade going...that's the important part...having as many people get as many different clips as possible. I like this because it's like a safety net. "Oh, yeah, I traded a copy of that skit to so-and-so...now I can get another if mine's damaged!"

thanx for replying, everyone!

later
eric