Let's face it: DC2 is a LOW BUDGET movie!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
My point is DC2 has a more elaborate and detailed world and therefore should cost more to make "right". I don't have a good feeling about them using all CG backgrounds... :confused:
well me either but thats what they plan to use brian froud told me @ the sandiego comicon.

JMPrater

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to them using CG backgrounds as matte paintings, but I am opposed to them using CG to create the world in it's entirety, absent of real life sets, swamps, forests, etc...

My fear is that when we see Jen/Kira/Thurma/Kensho interact with their environment, CG Garthim [or what have you] will have replaced puppeteers becaus it's just easier.

dabauckham

Reaction score
JMPrater said:
The budget isn't my main concern, my concern is, [which is connected to the budget] the way in which Thra/creatures/gelflings are represented. My faith is divided. I love what Genndy has done in his past, and I am confident in his skills, on the other hand, I've seen MirrorMask, and the story WAS intriguing, but because the budget was so constrained it became visually evident, ergo affecting the film as a whole.

We've been able to see some preliminary sketches, and a piece of Brian Froud's concept design as well as the three main characters/puppets, Jen, Kira, and Thurma. So far, they look amazing, my main concern is backgrounds, CGI integration, CG matte paintings, and the rebirth of Thra through the eyes of a modern director. Nothing about Thra is modern, nothing about the world that Jim Henson originally envisioned is flashy or sleek. The World of the Dark Crystal is riddled with ancient history, atrocities, genocide [the eradication of the Gelflings as it were] and a lost society. The key word here is "BELIEVABILITY."

Genndy could have the best of intentions with the greatest of skills but if he is reigned in by Henson's limited funds, The Power of the Dark Crystal will fail. The question is, "Is Disney Involved?" Disney is now the parent company of Henson and that means Genndy has the possibility of having a more then mediocre budget. Lisa Henson is a producer on this film but thus far, she's only a name, and not a tested producer, she has her job because of who she is, not because of what she can do. This film will be a major testing ground for her. The Paris Hilton of film producers you might say.

J.M. Prater
You raise some excellent points J.M. Prater. Although I'd pull the line at making a comparison between Lisa Henson and Paris Hilton. But I know what you mean. There are big shoes to fill. :eek:

I am still hopeful that the mix of elements will work right for this film. But it is definitely a tricky balancing act... Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

J.M. Prater, what kind of art do you do?

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I have faith that this movie will work out well. I'm not eniterly excited about the use of CGI (but I agree it's nessecery). I just wish we didn't have to wait another year.

Kiki

Reaction score
I think it'll be good. I have faith in DC2. I don't really care if it's low-budget or not... and plus, heaps of films on a low-budget were hits (eg. Rocky, 1976). I'm not promising that DC2 will be a hit but I think a lot of people might get a real kick out of it. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know...The first one was a flop but yet a cult hit. So was "The Wizard of Oz" and "Charly and the Chocolate Factory". At least it was low rated. Any way, I'm sure with that being true that you do not wan't to go over buget because you want to be kind of cautious in this case. But Jim is living proof that you do not need a big buget to make a good movie.

evilhopscotch

Reaction score
Ah, yet another movie that I might be too scared to see.

I hate being a worrywart/naysayer/Wimbler/whatever, but that's how I am. Frankly, I didn't think the original movie NEEDED a sequal. It was perfect, absolutely PERFECT, the way it was. Not that I'm not excited to hear about a sequal, mind you. I just don't know how I feel about it being made. I really don't want to see it suck.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I have a lot of faith in Genndy to make a great movie. Even if the budget was a meager $1,000,000, I would still be excited.

Storyteller

Reaction score
JMPrater said:
Lisa Henson is a producer on this film but thus far, she's only a name, and not a tested producer, she has her job because of who she is, not because of what she can do. This film will be a major testing ground for her. The Paris Hilton of film producers you might say.
:confused: Do you check your facts at all before you make a statement like that? Lisa Henson is absolutely a "tested" producer, having been in the business for over 20 years, and many of those years NOT involved with her father's company. She was the president of Columbia Pictures, the youngest such executive at the time.

Paris Hilton is famous for doing absolutely nothing, Lisa Henson has worked for her position.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
Storyteller said:
Paris Hilton is famous for doing absolutely nothing, Lisa Henson has worked for her position.
Mr. Mars: "Have you been watching "House of Wax" again? You know that Hilton girl gives you nightmares." - Veronica Mars
Just had to share this.