Learn Something New Everyday Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember when YMCA was brand new. The Village People were huge. Like the Bee Gees or Barry Manilow, when you reach the point your grandma knows about them, you hit critical mass. And for being pillars of the gay community, they were as Mainstream as you can get.
Yeah I know people still argue about that. Does being mainstream mean you're playing it too safe? Or is the fact that you've reached so many people actually a step forward?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I see that Drtooth was actually not too many posts behind me. Who knows? Maybe if he hadn't had left, he could have been the new top poster around here.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but apparently, the word "meme" actually is supposed to be pronounced "me-me," because according to "history," the first ever meme back in the 90s was of Mimi from THE DREW CAREY SHOW.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was watching James Rolfe's CINEMASSACRE 200 documentary, and so much of what he was talking about in his early days of filmmaking was very, very relatable, because I pretty much had the exact same problems during my first two or three years on YouTube: no way of editing, everything being shot in-sequence/in-order on a video camera, and having very, very little room for error.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And touching up on my previous post, I just realized the interesting coincidences that I happen to share something in common with both James Rolfe and Doug Walker:

Like James, I shot all of my earliest work on a JVC camcorder.

Like Doug, I eventually moved up to a Sony AVCHD handycam.

Interestingly enough, the camcorder was able to achieve something that I never have quite been able to with either my previous digital camera that shot SD video, or my Sony camera, and that's decent lighting outdoors. With the SD camera, that was something that couldn't be avoided (it was always best to film in cloudy conditions, because sunlight could really wash out the picture), but even with my Sony camera being able to play with the exposure and color temperature and everything, I somehow still can't get outdoor shots to look as good as I was able to with just the camcorder - the camcorder was so good with outdoor lighting that you could tape in low-light conditions (like sunset or dusk, for example), and it could come out looking like mid-afternoon on tape.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently, the real reason there never was a Windows 9 is because previous versions of Windows were coded as part of what's known as the "Windows 9 Series" (i.e. Windows 95, 98), and that apparently was going to cause some problems with software and programs that may mistake the OS for either of those two older ones.

Again, that's supposedly the real reason. I've heard theories that it was supposed to be Microsoft's tribute to a DOCTOR WHO reference . . . and apparently, Microsoft itself is saying it's, "because 7 8 9."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, from what I understand, AFV is basically an American version of a Japanese home video show.

But anyway, Battleship, Big Mac, Capn Crunch (with berries), Twix, Pringles, Lite Brite, Ding Dongs, and Fiddle Faddle are all turning fifty this year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"I'm a Little Airplane" and "Vampire Girl" are by the same person: