Learn Something New Everyday Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Evidently, those GOD'S NOT DEAD movies were financed by the DUCK DYNASTY family. Uh . . . surprise?

...UGH! Screw them. Screw them for making a "this is why Atheists hate us" persecution complex movie. How Christian can you possibly be if you just cling to the "Gawd Hates Gayyuhs" but say "everyman for themselves because we got money?" Wouldn't it be better had they put their reality show money (as opposed to their yuppie money they had before they pretended to be rednecks like a Blue Collar Tour comedian) to helping the unfortunate instead of throwing together 2 trainwreck films that amount to "WAAAAAAHHHH! Nobody likes us Christians, but &^&%$ everyone else." They have such a disgusting, intolerant, hypocritical philosophy that has no problem crying out that they're the persecuted ones while they do their darndest to persecute the heck out of others. Especially members of other religions, something they make abundantly clear in one of their movies. Just...why aren't more Christians against these kinds of movies that make the entire religion look like a bunch of self-righteous crybabies?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
An unsurprisingly, but sad fact. . . .

The real reason Drumph had a star on the Walk of Fame in the first place? He bought it and paid for it himself.

And, apparently, that's how you get a star on the Walk of Fame - it's something you can buy, not something you earn. So, that would also explain why certain others who don't deserve a star either got them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rob Schneider is Elle King's father. :eek:

All this time, I thought she was Meghan Trainor and Amy Winehouse's secret love child that they tried to abandon in a dumpster behind a tattoo parlor.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Village People's hit "YMCA" was released November 13, 1978. Did you know the YMCA dance was invented by fans, quite unexpectedly, on American Bandstand? Notice the Village Peoples’ genuinely shocked reactions, lol.

And history is made. :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I pretty sure a lot of people weren't aware of the real meaning as kids. Heck, I can remember certain events in elementary school that took place in our gym where they'd play the song over the P.A. system, a lot of us would be doing the YMCA dance in the bleachers.

Then again, maybe school staff didn't know either? Because as gay-unfriendly as much of the world was back then, I think the song would have otherwise been banned from schools and such. As I said before, when I was in middle school, one of the teachers banned us from playing "Cloud Nine" by the Temptations on our radio frequency, but would never tell us why . . . it wasn't until I was an adult that I happened to learn of the strong drug implications of the song.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually thought it was an advertisement for actual YMCAs. I feel so silly now.
You're not far off, the Construction Worker guy once said in an interview, "I was a bit skeptical about some of our hits, but the minute I heard 'Y.M.C.A.,' I knew we had something special. Because it sounded like a commercial. And everyone likes commercials." :wisdom:

...Oh, did you get what I mean about Construction Worker, that they were all supposed to be male archetypes? Just making sure before I go on, lol.

And speaking of YMCA, I just recently discovered what the song is actually about. :embarrassed:
If it makes you feel any better, I pretty sure a lot of people weren't aware of the real meaning as kids.
As I understand it, the group introduced their French manager to a YMCA on 23rd Street, explaining that it was a place to go when you first arrive in New York and don't have much money, and was also a meeting place for the gay community.

(Nowadays, you can't be "short on your dough" and belong to a YMCA, lol.)

Then again, maybe school staff didn't know either? Because as gay-unfriendly as much of the world was back then, I think the song would have otherwise been banned from schools and such.
I think the idea was that it was an open secret; there to see if you were discerning enough. If you didn't see, well that was OK too, because they obviously wanted everyone to be able to relate to the song.

As I said before, when I was in middle school, one of the teachers banned us from playing "Cloud Nine" by the Temptations on our radio frequency, but would never tell us why . . . it wasn't until I was an adult that I happened to learn of the strong drug implications of the song.
That is a similar kind of subversive song. Makes sense that it's about drugs, but you can also say "Oh it's just about escaping to a happy place in your mind." :wink:

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember when YMCA was brand new. The Village People were huge. Like the Bee Gees or Barry Manilow, when you reach the point your grandma knows about them, you hit critical mass. And for being pillars of the gay community, they were as Mainstream as you can get.