Latest Newswire Update on Henson Co.

radionate

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This was on the wire this morning from Variety.

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - The lingering auction of children's programming giant Jim Henson Co., home of Kermit and Miss Piggy, appears finally to be heading into the home stretch.

Things are expected to heat up just after the upcoming U.S. Memorial Day weekend, with new bids expected from studio parents and other suitors. A management buyout proposal also is in the mix.

Current owner EM.TV, the financially beleaguered German media group, first disclosed its intent to sell the well-known L.A.-based Henson unit in March 2001. EM.TV hired blue-chip investment firm Allen & Co. to conduct an auction, a process initially expected to last only a few months.

But various circumstances --including Sept. 11 market disruptions -- have prolonged the process interminably. Robust TV production continues on the company's historic lot in Hollywood, despite an understandable anxiety spreading among Henson troops eager to see the process reach its conclusion.

At least a half-dozen companies were conducting due diligence recently in a document room set up by those conducting the auction. Suitors are believed to include Walt Disney Co., Viacom Inc. and AOL Time Warner Inc., as well as at least a couple of smaller, European-based companies.

Henson CEO Charles Rivkin is known to be mulling his own buyout offer for the company, but it's expected that bid would gel only after outside offers are finalized. Rivkin declined comment.

The CEO's best shot at succeeding with a management-led buyout lies in the possibility that no other bidder will offer north of $175 million -- believed to represent the current minimum offer EM.TV would consider accepting. There was a time when observers felt the company could fetch as much as $250 million, but no longer.

"The market in general for intellectual property is not what it was a year ago," one industryite said recently.

EM.TV's best chance at getting a good price for Henson appears to hinge on Allen & Co.'s success in getting suitors to construct bids based less upon current cash flow and more on future potential for the Henson brand.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Great, I e-mailed this to Phil for nuttin'! :smile:

Anyway, FINALLY some news. Hopefully we'll hear more within the next couple of weeks.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. You beat me to it.

A variety of news sources are picking this story up.

radionate

Reaction score
Sorry Phil

Sorry Phil,

Hope I didn't step on any toes. I watch the news wires religiously, and knew that this hadn't been posted on here yet! Old journalism and broadcasting habits die hard I guess. You're always trying to beat the other guy to the story!

(here's where a boxing glove on a retractable wire would shoot out, a la Roger Rabbit, and smack me upside the head!!)

This has been a Muppet News Flash

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Radionate,

There's nothing to be sorry about. Thanks for posting the article!

What I find really interesting about this report is the suitor that isn't mentioned. There were strong rumors going around in the company (in February and March) that a company sale to Fox might be coming down in April. I don't know yet if Fox is totally out of the bidding or if they are still in the mix. But Fox's interest was so serious that some company restructuring was going on, and some thought this was a direct result of the anticipated purchase by Fox.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Here's my offer...

I'll bid a pack of gum, 51 cents, pocket lint, a penny that I put on a railroad track and was smooshed by a train, the cap from my favorite pen, my younger brother, and an orange marker...

Do you think that's too much?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Pardon me, but who said ANYTHING about Fox (aka News Corp.)? I knew Phil was holding out on us. :smile:

Anyway, what does this mean? Is there gonna be an auction next week and a sale after that?

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I'll bid $3, my old Eathworm Jim action figure, this fly I just smooshed, a screwdriver, my sister's cat and this thing an the floor. What is that?

Tera

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything more about the possibilities of the Muppets being bought by the employees?
I remember hearing a few hushed, reverant sentences about this at Muppetfest, but don't know anything else.
Thanks!
Tera

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
The article said the best chance of a management LBO by Rivkin is if companies offer under $175 million? Boy, it doesn't look good for him, then.