Latest News from Youtube

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
This is for anyone who likes watching - disney videos, muppet videos, or muppet/Jim Henson shows or movies on www.youtube.com

I just heard a few mins. ago on "CNN Headline News", that within the month youtube is going to be using new software they got to block copywrited videos. And two of the main companies who are going to be looking for their copywrited material are Disney & Time Warner. So people on here who have Disney or Time Warner related videos on youtube, be ready. I thought you guys should know.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
So where can we go, or in general how can we clarify what is coppyrighted and what is not?
:concern:

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
I honestly don't know. But I think they'd have a hard time proving which videos are theirs, cause' I guess there's probrably a 1,000 new videos on there a day. Their idea probrably won't work all that well. I'm hoping. I like youtube, but I don't wan't us to lose our videos.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Goodness, I hope not!
:eek: I was just on there this morning watching old SS vidioes, which by the way I haven't seen anywhere else. I'd hate for them to just disappear!
:cry:

quanah

Reaction score
This makes me nervous as well. I'm actually on YouTube, and I did a :smile: video. It took a bit of time and effort, and I'd hate to see it removed due to any violations in copyright. Ouch. I'm REALLY nervous about it now, actually...

Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15nM-AUyys

Q

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, parody is different. I did "That Poor Frog" showing some silly stuff I did at 2 and 3 am once. It's basically parody.

The thing that HURTS us about this is that it is sometimes the only resource of reference we fans have for items of interest to us. Historical interviews with Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog may now be blocked, as well as Sesame and Muppet sketches we all love. Not to mention OLD commercials and such that nobody else has access to but the companies?

This hurts the fans.

wickedpuppets

Reaction score
simple sollution, well yes and no really, but here goes.....

Create a YouTube Clone site, (There are literally hundreds of them around these days)

Find a reliable hosting company and get yourself a 'deal' on cheap and or free hosting, (Most companies will swap free hosting plans in exchange for "sponsoring" your site, and you fly advertising for them on the site.

You then make it a Puppets Only Video sharing site, and make your catagories for Muppets, FR, SS, etc and put post your videos.

You can safeguard yourselves by utilizing one or more of the following methods...

(1) IF YOU post a "copyrighted" video write up a little review of said video and IF applicable link to a RETAIL copy the viewer can buy, and then LEAGLLY you video is mearly a REVIEW of a product, thus negating legal issues (Think of movie review sites that post trailors or screenshots or clips from movies)

(2) Make the site a "Members Only" site, this prevents any joe-schmo from wandering in and spotting their IP works, BUT this "cuts off an ear to spite the face" so to speak, by doing that you choke off any and all search engine traffic as well as people who do not feel comfortable with giving away their information to some random website.

(3) Contact Disney and ASK them for permission to host classic clips and whatnot AND That you will be linking those clips to RETAIL products, (This is a long shot but truley the best way to stay 100% above the law)

I would undertake this job myself, but right at this moment we are consulting and marketing for a Puppets Only Ebay site that is currently in the testing stages, so I just don't have the kind of free time to kick off that kind of project BUT maybe some of you guys here may.

If you would like any help, tips, links, etc just let me know.

-Loki-