Labyrinth

agustinaldo

Reaction score
I haven´t seen this movie...YET.

Is it good?Is it worth renting?How is David Bowie?
How close is in spirtit to"The Wizard Of Oz"?

My English teacher recommended it,so I assume it´s bad,but I want to hear your opinions before drawing my own conclussions.

So,should I rent it,or not?:confused:

stgebaby

Reaction score
bowie and all

it is really strange, and a little scary for little kids. i couldn't watch it for years (but i'm a wimp). the only advice i can give is, give it a chance. it isn't your usual muppets.

GPrime1

Reaction score
Hey! If your English teacher says it's good, it's probably good! In this case, he/she is definately right!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Opinions on "Labyrinth" tend to be varied. Personally, it's my favorite Jim Henson project ever. But many Muppet fans feel differently.

Have you seen Jim's other fantasy film, "The Dark Crystal"? It has kind of the same look and feel, but it's not as dark. Jim caught a lot of flak for making DC as dark as he did. People weren't expecting that from the creator of The Muppet Show and Sesame Street. So he put in a lot of comedy (courtesy of a script by former Monty Python person Terry Jones) and a lot of music (courtesy of Bowie, who also plays the film's villain).

Ironically, many Henson fans hate this film now because of all the songs and silliness. They feel the film can't be taken as seriously as The Dark Crystal. However, I feel that in spite of its stunning production design, Dark Crystal just feels too oppressively dark after a while. I like the music and the humor of the film.

I also think Jennifer Connelly does a great job as the heroine. (She's too young for me there now, but she's still lookin' fine these days!) :wink:

So, while I don't know your sensibilities, I hope I've given you enough information to know if *you* want to see it. If you do, please let us know what you think. We talk about Labyrinth often in the Fantasy Worlds section of this forum. (Note to forum administrator: this thread, in fact, ought to be moved to the Fantasy Worlds section as well!)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I totally dig "Labyrinth". I like it a lot more than "The Dark Crystal" (not that I don't like TDC, I just like L that much more).

If you've seen "The Neverending Story", I actually think the feel o' that is pretty similar to "Labyrinth". :smile:

As for me, I'd say RENT IT!

:big_grin:

Heck, you may even wanna buy it after you've seen it. :smile:

Gonzo

Reaction score
You should definitely see it--it's very creative and innovative, and can be entertaining if you're in the mood for it. I generally "appreciate" it more than I "enjoy" it. If that makes any sense.

Some nice characters, and great story, puppetry, and designs though.

I mean, can your English teacher be WRONG? Really?

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:sleep: :boo:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
I totally dig "Labyrinth".
...and I totally dig that you use the word "dig."

Really!

I do!

QuinnnniuQ

:flirt: :concern:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Agustinaldo, I just noticed that part of your original question was "How close is it in spirit to The Wizard of Oz?" Well, as I said, it's a fantasy with music and humor, all qualities it shares with Oz. Also, at the end you're kind of wondering "did it really happen, or was it just a dream?" as you do with Oz. However, remember the flying monkeys in Oz? A lot more of Labyrinth is like that scene; it's not as bright or cheerful. Also, there are a few vulgar jokes (though not a whole lot) that would never have appeared in the G-rated Oz.

Again, I love the film. I'm just trying to give you some kind of feel for it so you know what to expect.

DirthNader

Reaction score
No... you should definately not rent this movie. You should buy it!
It's a terrific show with muppet effects that prove why Henson was the very best at his work. David Bowie was perfectly cast, singing some of the coolest songs in his carreer IMO.

Anyway, as you can see, I liked the movie. I definately recommend it to you...to your friends....to your family....to.....

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Labyrinth is deffenitely one to see. If you can, get the DVD. It's so much better in widescreen, much grander, you can see how much work went into it (the same thing with The Dark Crystal).

In all, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are some of the best Fantasy films ever created. In my personal opinion (though I'm probably in the minority), even better than Lord of the Rings.