Kynan Barker's Muppet site article

beaker

Reaction score
On toughpigs.com there is an interesting new article that takes a sharp look at the Muppet online community. I would have to agree with the writer. I believe the new 'flash' Henson.com is a mess to say the least (Oh how I long for the older version). Its a darn shame to see Muppets.com and Muppetworld.com sit in virtual non existence. Muppets.com particularly should be the one most updated, but hasnt been since the mid to late 90's.

Now then, the fan sites article was most alarming. We all know official henson sites suck (I mean sesamestreet.com wont even load anymore). And technically kermitage.com will be a fan site, so if it is quasi-official it will be the only really good official site.

But, the thoughts on Muppet Central were off. MC's news is of course more updated than it had been in previous months.
It's press release format is great, because its not the author's opinions but the straight information.

And what is rec.arts.Henson+Muppets? I finally checked it out and its a sheer mess to look at. Unlike what the author posted, this seems far from some kind of Jedi council.

The new MC forum is great, and I enjoy the new format muchos better than the Delphi one.

radionate

Reaction score
The only thing I had to say after reading the Tough Pigs thing earlier this morning was that I kinda agree about the MC Forum. It's a little intimidating to begin with. Once you get the hang of it though, you can zip all over the place, keep up with the threads you are interested in, etc etc etc. So it's not that bad after all.

Luke

Reaction score
Actually i agree with more or less everything Kynan said - i think people who want to start judging the 'Muppet Central' bit need to have been around for a few years and witnessed the changes for themselves - i don't think the site came off THAT bad though, there are plenty more remarks that could have been made if Kynan was out to slate anyone, he was just being honest.

He even criticised Toughpigs.com itself and did highlight what some people consider a major flaw and i personally consider a major strong point.

As for the Henson newsgroup, you have to understand that it IS a Usenet newsgroup and the nature of them are they they're free-for-all's with no rules. Unlike here and even to a point at Toughpigs - there is absolutely no censorship.

Regarding the remarks on the MC forum - yes its a lot easier to use once you've used it a while but i think Delphi had it's good points too. The forum is confusing to navigate and the lack of email notification is annoying. I don't particularly blame anyone though because all CGI forum scripts are like this format.

beaker

Reaction score
yeah, youre right radionate, it does take a litle while to get used to. But hey, you can pretend its circa 1998 MC forum and go to the delphi forums tough pig forum(btw, they refer to this site as 'the other forum', too cute)

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Regarding the remarks on the MC forum - yes its a lot easier to use once you've used it a while but i think Delphi had it's good points too. The forum is confusing to navigate and the lack of email notification is annoying. I don't particularly blame anyone though because all CGI forum scripts are like this format.
What lack of email notification Luke? I've got mine set up to where I get a notification every time someone posts in a thread that I have already posted.

Luke

Reaction score
I mean the lack of individual email notification - you used to be able to reply to specific people rather than a whole thread, so you would know via email when someone had posted directly to you. The current way you get an email if anyone adds anything to anyone which can mean tons of emails.

Corey :- I don't really understand why you have brought this up here anyway - surely your feedback to a TP article should be at Toughpigs ? Feel free to come and post !