Kid's Programming that Makes You Want to Question Life Itself

beaker

Reaction score
LOL at Dr Tooth. You are so right! I cannot express how much of a total abomination Power Rangers/Teletubies/Barney/Pokemon are. They are just pointless drivel. Blues Clues, Dora, etc...sure they might be annoying but they have a point and education to them.

Btw, is low rent proslitizing cgi vegetable cartoons the wave of the future? Maybe we'll soon have Fallwell's Cucumber Junction and Pat Robert's Team Tomato?

Larry the tomato: "Hey, we can't block the entrance to this women's clinic unless you all help form a blockade!"

Cathy Carrot: "Oh Larry, get Zeb Zuchini to help...Im busy making sure these two fellows over here are just friends!"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Btw, is low rent proslitizing cgi vegetable cartoons the wave of the future? Maybe we'll soon have Fallwell's Cucumber Junction and Pat Robert's Team Tomato?
Ouch. That was harsh. I find the animation high-rent for a made for video release. There really isn't much to compare it to in that department. One has to consider the market when rating animation. To me, there rarely is an excuse for anything under 12 frame animation. But Veggie Tales has great animators working on it. The characters lack texture and some of the geometrical object settings could be tighter and more dense. However, the movement is quite fluid. It's B grade computer animation for the small screen, but is not low rent by any current media standards. If it were a motion picture release (haven't seen the theatrical movie) I would feel differently.

I would be the first to tear the films to shreds if I found the stories overly preachy or cross aome sort of line. The viking one I saw was just a lot of wacky fun with some general Christian values and Jesus name was mentioned. I don't find that offensive - just as I don't find an episode of Will and Grace offensive (of course). You know what you are getting into and go with it.

Your examples were humorous, though. The religious right makes me cringe, but so does the bleeding heart left. I just like the Veggie Tale I saw and will likely collect the series. Says alot because it isn't Henson or a high profile release. I haven't ever gotten into the made for vid market. It's just really funny.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Ouch. That was harsh. I find the animation high-rent for a made for video release.

I don't find that offensive - just as I don't find an episode of Will and Grace offensive (of course). You know what you are getting into and go with it.

Your examples were humorous, though. The religious right makes me cringe, but so does the bleeding heart left.
What can I say, I indiscriminately and irresponsibly provoke for a cheap laugh:wink: Actually, the shows Ive seen of Veggie Tales didnt really have any preachy stuff or even that many bible parables to them.

As for Will in Grace...I'll tell you why its like finger nails on the chalk board for me. It aint the gay humor, as its pretty well written and slick. (Then again Im a Margaret Cho fan) No, it is that freaking Karen idiot with that beyond comprehention annoying voice, and the overall snippy snobby zinger Manhattan socialite mentality. They should just call that show "THE GAP, the show".

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
She's actually the reason I watch it (when CSI is a rerun, of course). She is a fave of most viewers. Her voice and attitude are supposed to be humorous and are to me. I can see how it could annoy you, but that's kind of the point. I have met many people like her. :smile:

Now, back to kid's programming. Yeah, I don't like that preachy stuff either. That totally surprised me about Veggie Tales. Robertson and Falwell, well I believe that every action yields a result. I think they are painting themselves out of significance and come off as lunatics. What's sad it they steer many people away from positive aspects of religion and spirituality by making intolerant statements. I like Veggie Tales because it doesn't do that. I like the values it supports. Very Muppet-like too. A bunch of Veggies rally together for a cause. Muppet humor all the way too.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
She's actually the reason I watch it (when CSI is a rerun, of course). She is a fave of most viewers. Her voice and attitude are supposed to be humorous and are to me. I can see how it could annoy you, but that's kind of the point. I have met many people like her. :smile:

Now, back to kid's programming. Yeah, I don't like that preachy stuff either. That totally surprised me about Veggie Tales. Robertson and Falwell, well I believe that every action yields a result. I think they are painting themselves out of significance and come off as lunatics. What's sad it they steer many people away from positive aspects of religion and spirituality by making intolerant statements. I like Veggie Tales because it doesn't do that. I like the values it supports. Very Muppet-like too. A bunch of Veggies rally together for a cause. Muppet humor all the way too.
OMG you so are not on the internet at 4am. Man, we really are out there! As for Will and Grace, it should just be an all gay show minus the annoying f*g hags. As Will and Jack are hillarious(Will: "Is it your job or something to out robots?" LOL)

I agree, those idiots on the far right of anything ruin things in perceptions. Like you said, it is those kinds of attitudes that
puts a bit of a damper on postive aspects of any religion or spirituality. Like the terrorists have hijacked Islam, and the Israeli government has hijacked Judaism, you have a lot of these far right 'conservative value' jokers making a mockery of basic values of tolerance and kindness.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The "hags" are really popular in the gay community. They are my favorite part.

radionate

Reaction score
To say one other thing about Karen on "Will and Grace". Megan Mullally (the actress that plays her), is nothing like the character, sounds nothing like the character, and is part of the reason why the show is show enjoyable. She is ACTING! (and doing a fabulous job of it).

And ditto on the "hags" comment!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
To say one other thing about Karen on "Will and Grace". Megan Mullally (the actress that plays her), is nothing like the character, sounds nothing like the character, and is part of the reason why the show is show enjoyable. She is ACTING! (and doing a fabulous job of it).

And ditto on the "hags" comment!
Hmm, must be like the kid who plays Fez on That 70's Show. In interviews he is nothing like his character. On Will and Grace, I just hate how mean that Karen is..her and Mimi from Drew Carey should get together.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then again, Mimi could EAT Karen!!! Heh heh heh....

I hate Karen and I DISPISE Sean Hayes... I don't know.. It's like he's a Pee Wee Herman wana be or something, and his comic timing and delevery just fizzles. I cannot stand the show, personally. I agree. It is "The Gap, the sitcom!" Of course a lot of things are like that...

ANYWAY, after seeing a whole bunch of ^&*%y daytime TV (I had to stay home on some of the week days) There are quite a few shows on PBS, I can rember that chaif (sp?) my hide.

I have to sometimes baby sit an aunt's 4 year old, so I am subjected to terrible shows all the time!

Jay Jay the Airplane: THE WORST CGI I'VE EVER SEEN (next to, of course, Beleive in Santa) I mean, the planes are annoying looking to begin with, and PBS has had a few other dimestore, cheap ripoffs of Thomas the Tankengine since SHining Time Station whent off the air (of course, STS had top notch writing, great puppetry, and the talents of Ringo Starr and George Carlin). I mean, it's HORRIBLE! I saw one episode and I was about to put my foot through the TV and call for another babysitter so I could get the heck out of there! The human "actors" are worse than the hams I saw when I went to six Flags's Bugs Bunny Stage show (at least they have the forgivability of having to do the same show every hour for months, live). And the planes all have faces of.. like these fat kids or something, and they all talk in adult voice over trying to sound like a little 5 year old. Not to mention how un creative it is.

Cailou (?): Onmce again, I had to baby sit and had to subject my self to this thing. I kept pleading to have him watch a Sesame video, or at least dead air or something. It's basically a 3rd rate cartoon/puppet show based on a 2nd rate Frence or Cnadian kid's book series. The cartoon segments have an annoying female narrator that sounds like a cartoon cow, and the puppet segment is so... ugh... off timing, bad lip sync, most of the characters sound like they should be in an Adam Sandler movie (at least 3 characters, including the cartoon boy, sound like the Waterboy). Man I hate when they through stuff like this together.

When I was younger, they had brilliant shows on (they still have some, like Sesame, Mr. Roger's reruns, Arthur, and the like). They had, among other things, Square one. This show is sort of like the Electric Company, only subbing the Grammar of the EC with Mathamatic properties (mostly algebra, Geometry and other complex things). Guest stars included Weird Al Yankovic among others (he sang a song about patterns... it was great, like one of his classic polka parody hits) and they featured a hillarious, yet thought provoking spoof of Dragnet, called Mathnet or something. It was serialized, so I always turned it on every day. I mean, it showed how detectives can solve crimes with Math... now all we have is some mushy drivel about Tiffy the tugboat telling happy helicopter how it's wrong to call Jayt jay "silly".

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Then again, Mimi could EAT Karen!!! Heh heh heh....

I hate Karen and I DISPISE Sean Hayes... I don't know.. It's like he's a Pee Wee Herman wana be or something, and his comic timing and delevery just fizzles. I cannot stand the show, personally. I agree. It is "The Gap, the sitcom!" Of course a lot of things are like that...
Well I feel bad the few cultural sitcoms on tv end up getting blasted by people, be it UPN shows or whatever. I think Sean Hayes is the best thing on there. HE hosted this one Saturday Night Live in feb or march of 2001 that is absolutely the greatest SNL episode EVER(even better than th elate 80's/early 90's brilliant era) But my goodness...that Karen is beyond the beyond...someone get a Hannibal mask with a muzzle!

It's funny, its not the gay angle that ruins the show, its really the 'Were better than you, snippy snappy loud uber "on with the showww this is it" Manhattan snob' garbage. That's why I loved shows like Cosby and to some extent Roseanne. There was something relaxing and inviting. I don't do The Gap.