Kid's Programming That Makes You Think Life is GOOD!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Sesame Street (naturally)

Between the Lions (my three-year-old is learning to read with the help of this show)

Zoboomafoo (hot hosts, fun puppet, lots and lots of interesting animals)

Bear in the Big Blue House (we all know this one)

Arthur (funny characters and good stories)

Angelina Ballerina (sweet. simple, and good hearted)

Caillou (ok, not much for the adults here, but Emileigh likes it and I am jealous of Caillou's mom and dad's marriage)

Zoom (good clean fun)

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast (oddly entertaining)

Blue's Clues (pre-Joe of course. Face it, Steve is hot, the characters are lovable, and it does actually teach problem solving skills)

Little Bill (love Little Bill and his hamster Elephant too!)

I think I missed something here, but I am sure you will let me know!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like this thread!

Fraggle Rock - I picked it first because it was a show of pure joy - without the educational portion. It did have great moral lessons.

Sesame Street - A brilliant show that will out live all of us. There really are no words to describe such a program.

Veggie Tales - I can overlook the numerous Biblical references and just have fun with it. Wish it were around when I was little.

Bear in the Big Blue House - Love that Tutter!

Original Pooh - Used to be so much more than he is today. Great lessons about people and life.

Dora the Explorer - Wish I had learned a second language when I was little. The animation is stiff, but it is for the very young and the artistry is good.

Blue's Clues - A fun and simple show. Minimalist. I like it.

Between the Lions - A well made show that I thought was a Henson production!

The Electric Company - Hey, you guys! A classic. I miss it.

I know I am missing some.

beaker

Reaction score
This thread rocks.

For me...CURRENT programming which I love or really proclaim as good stuff with value...

Sesame Street

Bear in the Big Blue House

Little Bear(harkens back to that sense of exploring that MB had)

Recess

Well, I dont really watch tv and dont have cable...but these are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Bear is probably one of my favorite Muppet related projects in the last decade, heh

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Re: I like this thread!

Originally posted by frogboy4
Fraggle Rock - I picked it first because it was a show of pure joy - without the educational portion. It did have great moral lessons.

The Electric Company - Hey, you guys! A classic. I miss it.

I agree with both of these, but was only mentioning shows that are currently on television. I loved The Electric Company and 3-2-1 Contact (especially the Blood Hound Gang) when they were on, but alas, no more.

As for Dora the Explorer, I know it is popular, and the Spanish thing is nice, but honestly I find it boring. It is *so* repetitive, the formula is exactly the same in every episode (even BC changes things up quite a bit). I think the characters are flat, and Swiper is just mean. The tunes are catchy, but almost in a want-to-shove-something-sharp-into-your-eardrum type of way. We don't tune in.

beaker

Reaction score
I think my head is too cluttered to learn a second language. I wish life was like the Matrix, so I could just download Japanese into my head or something.

But yes, if we are talking ALL TIME, then Fraggle Rock would be right up there with Sesame Street.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Little Bear(harkens back to that sense of exploring that MB had)

Little Bear is good, but I haven't seen enough episodes to put it on my personal list. I did like what I saw. The Little Bear books are sweet, and the show seems to follow. Nice call...

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Little Bear is good, but I haven't seen enough episodes to put it on my personal list. I did like what I saw. The Little Bear books are sweet, and the show seems to follow. Nice call...
I get Little Bear, BITBBH, Sesame, etc videos for free from the library to show to my bird. Well maybe when I have a little person of my own these great shows will still be on tv. Oh I almost forgot...Reading Rainbow!!! I LOVED that show!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I can see what you mean about Dora. Its repetitive nature is hypnotic. The kids do love it. For some reason I can't turn away when it is on. Just weird. Maybe it has subliminal messages. :eek:

You are right. The characters are very flat. It has an online sort of look and I think that's what they were going for. I usually wouldn't like that sort of style, but the minimalism suits the show.

I actually like Swiper. "Swiper, no swiping!" Just cracks me up. "Oh, maaaan!" :smile:

My nephew loves Bob the Builder and it is interesting, just didn't make my personal list. A bit boring for me. It's nice that they have included Wendy the (female) builder. Women can build stuff too!

Forgot to mention Little Muppet Monsters. Loved the monster parts!

Ooooh! And the Smurfs! How could I forget that magical show??!!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4

Forgot to mention Little Muppet Monsters. Loved the monster parts!
Yeah, now if only someone would happen to have all 13 episodes on vhs to trade...Ive never seen this show...despite the fact I was watching saturday morning cartoons in th emid 80's religiously. Ever noticed the days of the Saturday Morning cartoons have been replaced by Sports in the last few years?

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Oh I almost forgot...Reading Rainbow!!! I LOVED that show!
Yes, yes, thank you! Reading Rainbow is good kid's television too!