Kid Doesn't Recognize Big Bird

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not jump to conclusions now. It must have been a really young kid, like Drtooth said. In fact, my brother used to think Diddy Kong was Curious George, and he was about 5 or 6 at that time! :big_grin:
Considering I never actually saw the movies when I was that young, and my knowledge of it was based primarily off the back of a Wilson cake catalog, I couldn't differentiate which one was Star Wars and Star Trek when I was very little. I was 1 when ROTJ came out, barely.

But seriously... really little kids think EVERYONE is Elmo until they're old enough to differentiate.

Tomservo95

Reaction score
This is kinda sad. Elmo has really taken over. I never cared for elmo much even as a toddler. And i was born in 1995 when he was starting to get pretty popular. Big Bird and Grover were my favorites. I used to watch Follow That Bird on a loop everyday. :wisdom:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Feh. Kids are stupid.
That article is ridiculous (as is this comment, if I may say so.) What the articlle should say is, "I left my child's education and social programming up to modern television and probably her preschool and friends, rather than taking the time as a parent to show her quality dvds and to intentionally give her educational toys from the shows I loved as a kid."

My kid doesn't know who Big Bird is? YOU, mother dearest, have not taught her.

Also: "She rejected the Sesame Street dvd in preference of Barbie something or rather..." Pffft! There's no way those Barbie dvds would make their way into my house, let alone the child's dvd-player, talk about unhealthy body-image issues.

Also, "Kids are stupid." No, they are not, Parents are.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"I left my child's education and social programming up to modern television and probably her preschool and friends, rather than taking the time as a parent to show her quality dvds and to intentionally give her educational toys from the shows I loved as a kid."
Amen. I have zero tolerance for parents who don't make the effort, trust that whatever's on TV must be OK, and then complain when their kids are ignorant.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then again, I kept reading, for the longest time those poor reviews on Amazon of classic SS products that all were "I bought this for my not quite a year old child and he won't pay attention to it. This is a terrible product because I'm a too stoopit to know that someone who doesn't even have a full imprint and can barely understand language isn't going to get references to Beatles music."

So basically parents of VERY young children buy Sesame Stuff and put on the television and get shocked when their too young to be watching TV at all kid doesn't pay attention and runs around like the Rugrats (there is apparently a large grain of truth in that program).

But I still wonder why the age of this child isn't disclosed. I think that would clear a lot up.

robodog

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was able to recognize Big Bird when I was 3. Heck according to my parents I was reading at 3. My mom credits a steady diet of Sesame Street and The Electric Company for that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Then again, I kept reading, for the longest time those poor reviews on Amazon of classic SS products that all were "I bought this for my not quite a year old child and he won't pay attention to it. This is a terrible product because I'm a too stoopit to know that someone who doesn't even have a full imprint and can barely understand language isn't going to get references to Beatles music."
Though keep in mind that people who are satisfied with products don't tend to write reviews (at least not as much as complainers). Though it would often be helpful if they did, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really? It's been my experience that there were more satisfied reviews than negative ones when it comes to Sesame. You just always get that "I bought this to shut my 1 year old up for a half an hour," review as if the parents just comedically misunderstood the point of Sesame Street.

But then again, I find it SW's own fault. They shouldn't have made Sesame Street baby goods. It gives the impression SS fans are all babies. That's partially why the demo shifted.

Though I will say this on the subject of not recognizing Big Bird, there was a point in time where I actually thought he was a girl... I was pretty young at the time and all. We have these little misconceptions when we're younger.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Though I will say this on the subject of not recognizing Big Bird, there was a point in time where I actually thought he was a girl... I was pretty young at the time and all. We have these little misconceptions when we're younger.
I don't think I've ever met someone who DIDN'T think that Elmo was a girl until corrected...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm by no means proud of it, since it's not an easy character to gender confuse... unlike, say, Nermal from Garfield and Friends. With no disrespect to Desiree Goyette, she didn't even try to sound like a woman sounding like a boy (say Bart Simpson). They even translated him as a girl in the Mexican dub. Now, we have a guy doing his voice. That was clearly intentional.