Kermit's W vs B vs. R lectures

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I last did any "vs" threads, but after recently discovering the first season segment where Kermit talks about the letter R and Cookie Monster breaks it into a P, I thought about how there were (at least) two other segments where Kermit talks about a letter which Cookie Monster keeps eating parts of, making it look like a different letter.

I like the W segment the best. Part of that is because it was in the first episode (though the first episode does have segments I'm not too fond of), but it's also really funny. The B segment feels like a poor cousin to that segment. Not as good, maybe it's too much of a "seen that" feel. On the other hand, I also really like the R one, maybe because it's a rare segment that I'm sure none of us had previously known about, but even without the feeling of "I've never even known of this rare sketch, and now I've seen it, so it's awesome!", this one does have a more interesting ending, where Cookie Monster fixes what he broke. It's also a bit similar to the segment where Kermit talks about feelings.

Finding this R segment makes me wonder if the first season (and maybe later ones) had any more Kermit and Cookie Monster segments where a letter (or possibly number) gets eaten into other letters and numbers. According to the CTW Archives "first season show content", the first season did have a segment where Kermit talks about the letter F, which doesn't have any additional info on Muppet Wiki. Of course, it's possible there are other segments that weren't listed as having Kermit (the R one was listed as "Muppet R Smash", first instance I know of where the "title" doesn't mention Kermit, though many Ernie and Bert segments are listed there that don't mention them in the "title").

Here's the W segment:

And here's the B segment:

And here's the R segment:

Mary Louise

Reaction score
I got a smile out of Cookie Monster’s karate chopping the R, his reaction to Kermit’s threat, his scrunching Kermit up with head pats, and his fixing the R. In fact, the only part of that sketch that didn’t thrill me was the ending lines. I think the writers could have come up with something more memorable than “Huh. Look at that. It’s the capital letter R again. How about that.”