Kermit vs. Newt Gingrich (1996 parody T-shirt)

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
With all the hubbub over Fox News vs. The Muppets ("don't forget to mention the evil oil baron!" - Fozzie) I found myself flashing back to an official Muppet Parodies T-shirt (purchased in 1996) that featured a surprisingly political punchline - one that still rings true today!

The front featured Kermit done up as David Letterman (complete with a set of teeth including the appropriate gap) at the Late Show desk, with the title "Too Late, with Kermit Letterfrog" superimposed over the top. A well-done satirical image IMHO.

The back featured "Kermit Letterfrog's Top 10 Reasons Why It's Great To Be A Frog," namely:

10. Babes are always kissing you because they think you'll turn into a prince.
9. Flies in your soup are a bonus.
8. You're above toads on the food chain.
7. Green goes with absolutely everything.
6. Pond scum is a term of endearment.
5. Most restaurants now offer a "No Croaking" section.
4. Amphibians are at minimum risk of appearing on Geraldo.
3. You can scratch hard to reach places with your tongue.
2. You can donate your body to science for big bucks.

AND...DRUM ROLL PLEASE...THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY IT'S GREAT TO BE A FROG:

1. It sure beats being a newt!

I remember being shocked and delighted that a Muppet T-shirt would slip in a joke like that, which worked on several levels but also had a political overtone not common to the Muppet brand. And, fifteen years later, the Geraldo joke is a little dated but the "newt" gag is as sharp as ever!

Does anyone else remember seeing this shirt? It was part of a great Muppet Parodies label that put out everything from clothes to calendars to posters. Awesome stuff. (I still have this shirt, by the way - it's a little small for me to wear but, like my "Weird Al Yankovic Canadian Tour '95" tee, I'm not about to part company with it!)