Kermit Pattern ... somethings not right...

Reaction score
Aloha,

I purchased a used MR kermit, took him apart, piece by piece...and noticed a few things.

1. The frog isnt an accurate color, and its not true antron fleece.
2. even once all the stuffing and crap is removed, he still isnt 100% accurate in shape, close, but something in the head is off..and i cant put my finger on whats wrong...

Has anyone else took apart a MR kermit? If so, what is wrong with the head? It almost seems like the snout is too short...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Aloha,

I purchased a used MR kermit, took him apart, piece by piece...and noticed a few things.

1. The frog isnt an accurate color, and its not true antron fleece.
2. even once all the stuffing and crap is removed, he still isnt 100% accurate in shape, close, but something in the head is off..and i cant put my finger on whats wrong...

Has anyone else took apart a MR kermit? If so, what is wrong with the head? It almost seems like the snout is too short...
MR's Kermit was mistakenly made 10% smaller than he should be. This is what causes the head to look a little off because the eyes are the same size, yet on a smaller head. I'm not sure about the fleece. The color should be 100% accurate. Kermit appears differently colored under different lighting schemes used in film and television. Others will probably be able to guide you toward more specifics. That's all I know. :smile:

Animal31

Reaction score
It wasn't by mistake he was made smaller, the posers are much smaller than the puppet counterparts. Another reason the head may look weird is because it is stuffed rather that hollow inside as the puppet should be, the only thing that filled it was Jim's hand....

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It wasn't by mistake he was made smaller, the posers are much smaller than the puppet counterparts. Another reason the head may look weird is because it is stuffed rather that hollow inside as the puppet should be, the only thing that filled it was Jim's hand....
Master Replicas admitted the error. The poser was 10% smaller than the poser pattern. Maybe that makes this translation even smaller than the original puppet in comparison.

Animal31

Reaction score
Misunderstood, thought you were referring to it being smaller than the puppet...

Reaction score
No, yeah i knew it was 10% smaller, but something else seems off....has anyone else torn one apart ?

Rymoore21

Reaction score
The head isn't curved enough. Starting at the tip of the nose, make a slightly larger arch up, over, and down to the neck about .75 inch. Then starting from the bottom chin, increase the size by about .75 inch. I had the same problem. The mouth board is the correct size though.

Rymoore21

Reaction score
be sure to not increase the mouth sides of the pattern though or the mouth plate will not fit.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
A couple of things to remember...the "Antron Fleece" you find today is not the same material it was 10, 20 years ago.

Also, I believe Kermit wasn't made with Antron Fleece anyways, at least not in the late `70s and `80s. A couple of different fabrics seem to have been used and supposedly Fisher Price ran a custom run of fabric that was used on a lot of the Kermit plush toys in the `70s/`80s. The story goes that an excess amount of the material was given to the Muppet Workshop, which then used it for Kermit going forward.

I do not know if that story is in fact true, but I owned one of the plush Kermits that Fisher Price manufactured in the late `70s and the material looks identical to what was used for Kermit at that time. It has a similar texture to Antron Fleece, but I don't think it's the same material.