Keep Your Darn Cucumber, Gimme de Grape!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/17/capuchins030917

Keep your darn cucumbers: miffed monkeys
Last Updated Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:29:35
ATLANTA - Some monkeys have a sense of fairness and complain if they're getting a bum deal, primatologists say.

Capuchin monkeys share a piece of food (Courtesy: Frans de Wall, Emory University)

Researchers trained brown capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella) to exchange a granite token for a cucumber treat.

If a monkey saw another capuchin received a better payoff, such as a grape, she would often show her disapproval by throwing a tantrum.

Sarah Brosnan and psychology Prof. Frans de Waal of the Yerkes National Primate Research Center at Emory University in Atlanta studied 10 small primates from the forests of central and South America.

In field studies, scientists have found capuchins to be cooperative animals living in a tolerant society where they often share their food.

The researchers set up the captive female monkeys in pairs and took turns rewarding each one during 25 trials.

Monkeys won't stand for monkey business

They found if both monkeys received a piece of cucumber as a reward, the primates' behavior stayed the same.
But if one monkey received a grape, considered a more valuable prize, the other often refused to accept cucumber, threw it away or gave it to the other monkey.

"This effect is amplified when the partner does not have to work for the reward," Brosnan said in a release.

She said the findings may help explain why people often forgo a reward if they don't perceive it as fair. The seemingly irrational behaviour has baffled scientists and economists.

The researchers are now testing chimpanzees to see if they have the same sense of fair play.

The study appears in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
That's interesting Kevin! I love reading stuff like this, yeah Animals do know what's going on, they know what's good and what's bad!

"considered a more valuable prize" <--------I love that line! :smile:

Zack,

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
And, in quite the same study, when cucumbers notice that they are given a lesser quality monkey than another cucumber receives, they feed the lesser quality monkey to a grape!

HAAA!!

They were talking about this on the radio this morning and I thought it was interesting enough to share. :smile:

FOZ
ooga-booga

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
This is funny - I can just see the monkeys squabbling over that grape! And I always like anything that shows animals being more in tune than we often give them credit for. Though this doesn't show off a particularly flattering view of their personalities...

Fozzie Bear said:
And, in quite the same study, when cucumbers notice that they are given a lesser quality monkey than another cucumber receives, they feed the lesser quality monkey to a grape!
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: That's *hilarious*!!!!!!
Erin

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Monkeys! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha ha!

What are we talking about?

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Yes, I say Monkeys always make everything better and reading about them fighting over grapes...........that is funny...............ha ha ha ha ha ha......that made my day even better........ :smile: :big_grin:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if you gave one monkey two cucumbers and other monkey one grape...would the grape "prize" still be better? It's one little grape! what if it was like the Great Deprestion? i'd hope that monkey would rather have two large cucumbers in the long run! :smile:

:concern: Jeepers though i hope these lab Monkeys have good homes thought and the only test are eatting treats and such. I'm not very fond of animal testing for human products. in fact not fond at all! :frown:

zack,

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Zack the Dog said:
I wonder what would happen if you gave one monkey two cucumbers and other monkey one grape...would the grape "prize" still be better? It's one little grape! what if it was like the Great Deprestion? i'd hope that monkey would rather have two large cucumbers in the long run! :smile:
LOL! Good question!

:concern: Jeepers though i hope these lab Monkeys have good homes thought and the only test are eatting treats and such. I'm not very fond of animal testing for human products. in fact not fond at all! :frown:

zack,
Me neither. Did you ever see the movie "Project X" with Matthew Broderick, about a guy working with chimps who test pilot planes? Really sad movie. :frown:
Erin

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I saw 28 Days Later. If the monkeys are already in the labs, leave 'em there. There could be a reason why they're locked up.