Kathy Mullen & Mokey...

MattFraggle

Reaction score
I can't figure it out...

Mokey is such a charming, introspective, and likeable character, and was so well performed by Kathy Mullen, that I have a hard time understanding why she ( they ) seem to be the least mentioned, and least merchandised character among the Fraggle Five.

That said, I have a few theories. Feel free to chime in, and prove me wrong or agree with me :} Here goes...

1. Misconceptions. Mokey doesn't scream, I'm a girl! Though she can clearly be giggly and very feminine when called for. She's an artist, and poet. Because of her outfit, and her cropped hair, one or two ignorant non-Fraggle fans who have seen her once commented, "She looks like a hippie lesbian!" Can you believe that? We live in such a crass, cynical time, that a first glance of our beloved Mokey seems to give off vibes to the less educated. It's aggrivating actually...It's as if a female character has to have a svelte, curvaceous body, large breasts, and waist-length hair, and a "slutty" attitude in order to convey femininity.

Now, I love both Red & MOkey. But Red was and still is clearly more merchandised than Mokey is. Which brings me to my second theory....

Artists. Most people are not artists. I'm one. I know many others. But we're definetly a minority in the world. Most people don't know what it's like to think like an artist. To view the world and the universe like an artist. We can be dreamy, progressive, and sometimes, kinda loony. And I know that some "normal" people are turned off by these qualities. Perhaps then, while some people liked Mokey, it was easier for them to identify with Red, becasue we all were familiar with Red-like tomboys when we were growing up ( At least, I was )

What do you guys think?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Ah, this time I see your post! I hadnt really noticed that Mokey wasnt favoured in merchandise.In the fast food toys, PVCs and plush, she has always been there.Admittedly, when I think of Fraggle Rock characters, Mokey is not the first to come to mind.I think of Red first because she seems to be a more fun gal, where as Mokey was more calm and gets over looked.But spare a thought for poor Sprocket, who I think has only had a Hasbro plush made.And when have you seen the Gorgs apart from the Schleik(spelling) PVCs?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
MattFraggle, I love you man, lol. Any Muppet fan who takes up for Mokey is tops in my book!

Your theories make complete sense. As a fellow artist, I too have the qualities you mentioned, and see that a lot of people just don't "get" how we are.

Another theory I've always thought about is that FR was marketed toward what, 5-8 year olds? And girls are much more like Red at that age---bouncy, energetic, hyper, and it's really not until the teenage years when some girls go more down the Mokey road (discovering diaries, noticing the world around them more, becoming less energetic and paying more attention to people's feelings, etc). So to many of the young energetic little girls, Red was "FUN! FUN! FUN! WEEEEE!!" while Mokey was calmer by comparison (almost sedated-like due to Red's extremity at times, lol)---which makes sense, since Mokey is the oldest of the 5. So since girls in the targeted audience mostly matched Red's qualities, Henson pushed her more in merchandising, and more than most of the fraggles. On a note of irony though about Red's energy and Mokey's calmness, take a look at "The Secret Society of Poohbahs"---talk about a turn of the tables! lol

Anyway, your question is why I love doing my "Mokey Mondays" (I hope you've noticed them Matt since you appreciate Mokey so much); while they feature a great number of characters in The Rock, Mokey is the STAR! And it's about time she got her own "top-billing"!

MattFraggle

Reaction score
Hey Janice N Mokey's man... you make a good point. And yeah, I have the POOHBAH episode. It's one of my favorites because Mokey loses her cool several times. As she does in "A Cave of one's own" She got furious in that episode, and it was really fun to see.

Your "Mokey Mondays" rule. I should add some drawings or a CG Mokey to that one of these days. Mokey rawks!

Metacritter

Reaction score
Mokey holds a consistent first or second place in my ever-rotating top three fraggles slot. I don't know about merchandising during the first run and syndication, but currently Mokey is woefully unrepresented. I'm just about twitching waiting for the sababa Mokey to complete my set!

I'm not sure I agree with your first theory... Mokey is very feminine in voice and manner. (With a few notable exceptions, like effortlessly carrying an unconscious Red by her tail, one handed!) If your commenter hadn't watched Fraggle Rock or hadn't paid attention, well, all of them are kinda funny looking. I'd say that Red, Mokey, and to a lesser extent Wembly have a gender-neutral look.

I'm with you on the second theory, and think I can extend it a bit: Artistic talent is generally undervalued. Parents groan when they hear their kids want to be artists, and a mediocre MBA typically has more and better employment choices than a talented visual artist. This holds true to a lesser extent in Fraggle Rock. Think about Gobo's comment in Mokey's Funeral: "I always figured that you do the artistic stuff, we do the practical stuff."

MattFraggle

Reaction score
Ohhhhh! Good one MetaCritter! Your views are so close to mine...I feel as if you live in the same city as I do!

Wait...:}

puppetise

Reaction score
i think that with the new movie that people might bother to learn about her

Tim

Reaction score
Maybe Mokey is a little over-looked for what ever reason, but how many people do you named their kid after her? My best friend just did that last week: MOKEY WILLOW
(No joke!)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
LOL, great name! :stick_out_tongue:

Uh-oh...I can hear the taunting now..."Mopey Willow, Mopey Willow!"

Yeek!

Tim

Reaction score
Hey, I'm still hung up on that "Curious George" movie..When I first read the name I thought it was "MONKEY"! (Poor, poor kid..)