Just found large solid colored foam balls!!

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hey there,

I was at a Walmart today and was cruising the toy aisle. In the large ball bin that had numerous soft vinyl covered sports ball, I came across solid colored foam balls! Just like the kind that Nerf used to make years ago! I couldn't believe it. Back in the day, when Nerf was new, they used to have a line of large and small solid foam balls for sale in toy stores. These days, all of their stuff is covered in thin vinyl and made to look like basketballs, soccer balls, etc.

I bought 4 of them, 3 yellow and 1 blue. I also saw a lime green ball as well, but didn't buy it because it had been quite squished. The balls are called POOF balls, and the company has a website:

www.poof-slinky.com

The same company also makes slinkies. The balls I bought are 4 inches large. When I went to the website, I found that you can buy directly from the company the 4 inch sized balls in assorted colors, and larger 7 inch balls in various colors. From what the description on the site said, it seems like the distributor randomly packs colored balls when you place your order, and that you can't pick and choose what particular color balls you want. Perhaps, if asked, they will.

These balls are PERFECT for a variety of puppet uses, the biggest being lightweight foam heads. The large 7 inch balls could even be carved into to make moving mouth hand puppets, or the smaller balls could be rigged with rod puppet mouths for articulation. Or they can be used for large lightweight eyes, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless!

The 4 inch balls are sold individually for $1.99 online, and in packs of 2 for $3.99 through POOF's website. The 7 inch balls are $5.49 online through the website. The same company also carries softballs and a product called Squeezeballs. Not sure if they're plain foam or foam covered in vinyl.

Take care and happy building!

Marc

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Great find!

Great find Dagger Claws! I actually have one of the balls in my closet. I found it a few months ago at Wal-mart. One one left. No markings, tags, nothing. Wal-mart didn't even know the price. I've hung onto the ball, in hopes I'd find more like it. Thanks for the info! You gotta love MC!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We used to use these kind of balls when we would play "Battle Ball" in school. What fun that was, the only thing is they're so soft and so light, it was hard to tell whether you were really tagged or not.