John Ritter and Johnny Cash die

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think they should just end the show. Period. It's not going to survive without John Ritter. No way that it could, because he's the reason folks were tuning in.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
In the official statement, the President of abc says that they did it because john ritter would've wanted the show to go on.

To me, it's a bunch of bs. It's all about money. ABC is a joke in the ratings; 8 Simple Rules was to be their way to stay afloat this season (Besides MNF and MNL, of course); the station is desperate (What else is new?).

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I also heard on the radio today that the guy who wrote "Purple People Eater" went to Johnny Cash's funeral and yesterday (?) died.
Man! Does it ever stop?? :frown: I love "Purple People Eater." Great song.
Erin

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
In the official statement, the President of abc says that they did it because john ritter would've wanted the show to go on.

To me, it's a bunch of bs. It's all about money.
I'm sure it's a little of both. The co-stars and people at ABC who loved John Ritter and the show wanted it to go on, at least for now. And of course, since it is BUSINESS, the higher-ups at the network would want this hit show (one of their few) to continue as long as it could and see if it works.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
BR2, well said.

I think the writers should stay together as a team, and make a different series, but keep the same kind of humor. Maybe a different cast, but not the same situation.

I don't know, I just don't think the show can continue on the same path.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The radio just announced that ABC states they plan to continue the series. I think that is going to be a bad ending of the series, because without John it's likely the show will fall into oblivion and not be watched anymore.

I also heard on the radio today that the guy who wrote "Purple People Eater" went to Johnny Cash's funeral and yesterday (?) died.

Back to 8 Simple Rules, it's still very popular, and there's 3 new episodes left, and what they need to do is (like said) show those 3 ep's and then let it go. No death of John's character or anything, because you don't want to deal with death in a sitcom, death is too real. We visit sitcoms to get away from reality and to get a laugh or two. Like Jim did with TMS, while it's popular, let it go.

I know what ur saying Kev but just think What if everyone had said, "I think they need to canselle the muppets as in don't do anymore muppets stuff anymore." Did u think about that? And there proubley were people that said that but look how the muppets have gain our attation again. We need shows to pull through and keep going. Its like whats his name said John would of liked it that way. I know people were just watching for John but what about the people watching the muppets for just the guest stars or just one muppet character. I would still watch anything even if it wouldn't have a certain muppet character because I want to see what happens to the other characters. Now I know ur thinking well I won't watch it because John not there what if others want to watch it for other reasons. Did u think of that? I'm going to go w/ my gut instinct and let it run for a few more weeks and see how it comes out and if it fails ok thats fine as long as they try. And what if they would of stop Muppets Tonight right after the thrid episode because people weren't watching it. That didn't stop them. Now did it. Just think of what I wrote and thought about before writing any thing else. Have a good day.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
BR2, well said.
This is very off-topic, but no one has ever called me BR2. I just find it interesting, and that's how boring my life is.

Carry on!

Aaron

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I know what ur saying Kev but just think What if everyone had said, "I think they need to canselle the muppets as in don't do anymore muppets stuff anymore." Did u think about that? And there proubley were people that said that but look how the muppets have gain our attation again. We need shows to pull through and keep going. Its like whats his name said John would of liked it that way. I know people were just watching for John but what about the people watching the muppets for just the guest stars or just one muppet character. I would still watch anything even if it wouldn't have a certain muppet character because I want to see what happens to the other characters. Now I know ur thinking well I won't watch it because John not there what if others want to watch it for other reasons. Did u think of that? I'm going to go w/ my gut instinct and let it run for a few more weeks and see how it comes out and if it fails ok thats fine as long as they try. And what if they would of stop Muppets Tonight right after the thrid episode because people weren't watching it. That didn't stop them. Now did it. Just think of what I wrote and thought about before writing any thing else. Have a good day.
well said

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Erine, okay then. I won't suggest that it should be cancelled again. Obviously you feel strongly about that show, and I applaud you for it.

But watch it and you'll see that after the initial final 3 Ritter eps, the "dealing with death" episode, and the following 2 shows the ratings will begin to drop.

However, in their favor, they have hired Henry Winkler to come in as the crazy uncle (whose brother?!). If Winkler can be as exciting and funny as Ritter was, it could continue. The ABC execs did have plans to just let the show continue and put someone else in Ritter's place on the show, but ultimately decided to let his character die off--but, they were unsure how to let him go: 1) the same way Ritter went or, 2) some other illness. I also heard that the day of the funeral the executives at ABC came in with the re-write of the show. A rumor is that the execs were calling the actors at the funeral and telling them when to show up, but I doubt that would be so.

Thing is, it's not about the 'family' or the actors, it's about the money and whatever they (producers) think will make the money will be what they will do.

As far as to why I think the show will not survive without him, for example, there was a series called Valerie years ago with Valerie Harper, and when she left the show and Sandy Duncan came in, they had made Valerie die and the title changed to Valerie's Family (same night and time slot) and the show withered and died. That's the only case I can remember, though, but I'm sure there are other cases similar where the actor died or left the show.

Sorry to have irked those of you who wish the show to go on without Ritter, I was just talking for the greater percentage of what I've seen happen in the past. He was a great man with a tremendous energy that will never be matched and I just think that will cause the show to go down.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Fozzie,

I understand what you're saying to some degree. As a fan of John Ritter's who has watched this new show loyally since the beginning and is extremely saddened about his passing, I want to try and give the show a chance. I have mixed feelings about ABC's decision and I agree there's probably some dollar signs flashing around that made them choose this decision but as much as John was the show, so were the other characters. I think this series was an excellent showcase of all these actors' talents. I never heard Katey Sagal sing before and she did on this series and beautifully I might add!! And the two teenage girls are immensely funny and I love their characters on the show. Will it be the same without John? Absolutely not, but the Muppets went through the same thing when Jim Henson died. I sat and thought "Oh, my god what's going to happen to Ernie and Kermit?" And look at all the wonderful things the Muppets and the Henson Company have accomplished since Jim's death. Is it the same? No, but they've grown stronger in some sense and keep doing a great job.

Also in regard to your comment about the show Valerie's Family, didn't it also run under the title "The Hogan Family" for quite a few years after Sandy Duncan came in and they first changed the name to Valerie's Family?? That show didn't just wither and die. And if you think shows should stop after someone passes on, gee, Sesame Street should've shut down a long time ago considering how many people there passed on! But no, they didn't! What did they do? They taught children about death when Mr. Hooper passed on, got other directors and puppeteers to try and fill those people's shoes who passed on. As much as I miss all these wonderful talented people, I'm glad things have continued on as they have.

Fozzie Bear said:
Erine, okay then. I won't suggest that it should be cancelled again. Obviously you feel strongly about that show, and I applaud you for it.

But watch it and you'll see that after the initial final 3 Ritter eps, the "dealing with death" episode, and the following 2 shows the ratings will begin to drop.

However, in their favor, they have hired Henry Winkler to come in as the crazy uncle (whose brother?!). If Winkler can be as exciting and funny as Ritter was, it could continue. The ABC execs did have plans to just let the show continue and put someone else in Ritter's place on the show, but ultimately decided to let his character die off--but, they were unsure how to let him go: 1) the same way Ritter went or, 2) some other illness. I also heard that the day of the funeral the executives at ABC came in with the re-write of the show. A rumor is that the execs were calling the actors at the funeral and telling them when to show up, but I doubt that would be so.

Thing is, it's not about the 'family' or the actors, it's about the money and whatever they (producers) think will make the money will be what they will do.

As far as to why I think the show will not survive without him, for example, there was a series called Valerie years ago with Valerie Harper, and when she left the show and Sandy Duncan came in, they had made Valerie die and the title changed to Valerie's Family (same night and time slot) and the show withered and died. That's the only case I can remember, though, but I'm sure there are other cases similar where the actor died or left the show.

Sorry to have irked those of you who wish the show to go on without Ritter, I was just talking for the greater percentage of what I've seen happen in the past. He was a great man with a tremendous energy that will never be matched and I just think that will cause the show to go down.