John Lovelady?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, I just got done watching the Muppets on the Julie Andrews Hour, and the Muppets on Julie Andrews' TV Special "My Favorite Things." Both were very interesting. The Julie Andrews Hour was around the time where the Muppets were still only on Sesame Street, and the other was in the early 80's I'd say. When I looked at the Muppet performers in the credits, John Lovelady was in both sets (thus proving he'd been with the troupe for a good deal of time). I remember his name from Muppet Muscians of Bremen also.

So, what's the deal with Mr. Lovelady? Can any supply with some info? I mean, he obviously did a good deal of work with the core group, yet he isn't considered a core member. I want to know why.

-Matt

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Er, John Lovelady stuck around for the two Muppet Show pilots and the first season of the Mupept Show, but left for his own career. He actually originally played Crazy Harry, but was replaced by Jerry Nelson.

I think it's John Lovelady that Kevin Clash got his start with. One of John Lovelady's shows. But, I don't think he continued performing with the Muppets during the eighties. Just that first season.

Most of what the Muppets did with Julie was done during the seventies either before or during the Muppet Show.

scarecroe

Reaction score
What I'd like to know is what's John Lovelady been doing since he left the Muppets?

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
John Lovelady started working with Jim Henson in 1970 as a builder and sometimes as a performer. He performed in The Great Santa Claus Switch and also built some puppets for Sesame Street. After the first season of The Muppet Show, John and his family moved back to the States, but he did do some work on The Muppet Movie.

After a decade with Henson, John decided to move on, and worked as a performer and a producer on the TV puppet series The Great Space Coaster. (Kevin Clash and Jim Martin also worked on Coaster.)

Since then, John has puppeteered for Disney and the Kroffts among others. I believe he is based in New York and recently attended a Henson event featuring some of his work.

secret squirrel

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ah! So that's who Secret Squirrel is! :big_grin:

Hehe! Sorry, Secret. Just had to drag that over from the other thread! :stick_out_tongue: