Jim Hill: Mickey plays it smart in last-minute hopes for Henson

Gooftser

Reaction score
Wow, my first post....anyway I'll shed a little disney-biased light ont he subject:

Jim Hill might be a little biased himself, but in that article, it really seemed like Disney has the best intentions for the Muppets. All the other groups (except for Charles Rivkin) seem like they just want to make money and have no respect for the muppets, but it seems like Disney wants to bring them into the spotlight and return them to their former glory. And nobody else has the means to do this but Disney, The Muppets will be everywhere, Movies, Television, Theme Parks. Well, I hope Disney buys the Muppets, and this recent article made me happy, but I at least hope Disney gets the movie and tv and theme park liscensing.

There is my first post

stgebaby

Reaction score
disney

you should see our disney discussion in the thread titled Valentine Could Pull Muppet Strings with Bid to Acquire Jim Henson Co. i found it quite amusing

Luke

Reaction score
Thats yet another exagerated and biased article with few strains of the truth from someone who seems to trade on 'sources' and not real information. A lot of his thinking towards the European business side of things is just way inacurate and he doesn't have any idea that what he's suggesting is actually against various European Union media trading laws. Jeez - can anyone well known talk crap and get a page on Muppet Central ? It seems so.

I think i mentioned (after he'd failed to) the last time he wrote an article here that Disney were looking to gain from any new owner of the Muppets licensing them, so nice he acknowledged that this time around although if they've been planning to do that all along i doubt they'd make a bid because then they'd be seen as taking the second best offer by settling for the license approach. Personally i think they'll go one way or another.

I know that these articles are written for his site, and they just get printed on MC but jeez - good luck Phil on getting Hill to write an article on the history of Henson without mentioning the word 'Disney' 300 times a page. I think the Muppets deserve much more respect than that ..... they have not spent the last 15 years idly waiting around for Disney to buy them ! :rolleyes:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Not that he needs the affirmation, but Jim Hill has very good sources and contacts within Henson. In fact, I would say they are some of the best contacts possible.
But um .... he doesn't know about the Muppets, just how they relate to Disney. He couldn't even get the movie title right - doesn't that tell you anything ? Most of the sale process is being carried out way above the head of Henson anyway so having contacts there doesn't neccasarily give you the edge.

Yes, he gets onto the idea of a parent licensing the Muppets to other media companies but he completely missed the boat on that issue the last time when various other people knew it was being talked about. Obviously you'll know thats the same for the splitting up of the company which the new parent will likely do ONCE they have control of JHC as you quite rightly said EMTV can't negotiate several seperate deals before. It's just old news !

I really find it sad that the only defence you have for Hill is that he has sources and contacts at Henson. I think that can be said for quite a few people around here. I guess it doesn't matter that his writings innacurate and he accused Goelz of taking bribes the last time around which was extremely offensive.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gooftser
Wow, my first post....anyway I'll shed a little disney-biased light ont he subject:

Jim Hill might be a little biased himself, but in that article, it really seemed like Disney has the best intentions for the Muppets. All the other groups (except for Charles Rivkin) seem like they just want to make money and have no respect for the muppets, but it seems like Disney wants to bring them into the spotlight and return them to their former glory. And nobody else has the means to do this but Disney, The Muppets will be everywhere, Movies, Television, Theme Parks. Well, I hope Disney buys the Muppets, and this recent article made me happy, but I at least hope Disney gets the movie and tv and theme park liscensing.

There is my first post
And IMHO, a very intelligent post it is.

While I still see no earthly reason why Disney would want the Muppets, Disney by far would be the best home for them, at least in terms of exposure, for the very reasons you've mentioned. Look at it this way - Disney has managed to retain the public affection for Mickey Mouse despite the various incarnations of the character and his primary role as corporate logo. And they've done right by the Mouse too (for the most part) - I enjoyed several episodes of "House of Mouse" and think it's the best use of Mickey in years. Personally I think Disney ought to go back to the original version of the mouse, with the shoe-button eyes, etc. (that version has a much greater visual impact), but for the most part IMO they've done a good job of being true to the character. Anyone here seen "Runaway Brain"? A brilliant - and brand-new - Mickey Mouse cartoon. I wish Disney would make more of those. But I digress. If Disney buys the Muppets - think of what they could do with the characters in conjunction with Pixar. Boggles the mind... :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
A nonbaised response

I've had a history with Murgatoad, so I'll just drop it and focus on somethings.

Firstly, House of Mouse is simply awful! It's nothing but a commercial for Disney. Why the heck else would they put all the high profile movie characters in one room. Then they go and release that increadably bad House of Villains movie.. ack... Though I must agree, the Micky Mouseworks cartoons they use are well done, and Runnaway brain was great. Saw it Before George of the Jungle, man it was soooo cool. The original Micky, however is losing hus copyright! The old Steamboat Willie cartoon, a triumph, will sadly fall in with those dollar store, poorly dubbed from a lousy master tape ripoff generic videos. This wouldn't be the first time. I have 3 of these videos with Disney Characters in it, one with Mickey, one with Donald Duck, and one with Humphry the bear.

I also wonder why Colubia/Sony didn't put in a bid. I mean, they have worked with the Muppets lately, and they do release all the Sesame Street videos. beaker Brought this up on another thread.

But that's my 2 cents

Luke

Reaction score
I agree that Disney would be the best home for Henson in terms of production, promotion, exposure and facilities although i think the creative ideas are very different between Henson and Disney so that could cause problems. Disney are interested in licensing Henson from any new owner and that's probably part of the reason why lots of small media companies are trying to buy JHC in order to license them out, co-produce or sell off some parts of the company and just concentrate on distributing the shows. I think actually owning the Muppets could cause a lot more fuss and bother for Disney and affect their current internal strategies so maybe thats why they haven't been in the bidding as such .... but you can be sure they are looking on.

Gooftser

Reaction score
Ok, so one of these people like Valentine or Saban could buy the muppets, but would probably sell the liscensing to another company such as Disney??

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am still pretty confused as to why Sony/ Columbia hasn't been thought of.

danielromens

Reaction score
If Disney buys the Muppets - think of what they could do with the characters in conjunction with Pixar. Boggles the mind...

Actually no it doesn't considering Pixar is leaving Disney in a few films. Personally I can't wait, due to the constant bombing of all of their new projects. They put out too much too fast and thus become the competition for their own characters. Not very smart these folks. Not to mention, Eisner needs a foot up his *****.