Jim Henson's Life and History

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

I thought it might be nice to maintain a general thread about Jim Henson's history and life, where we can discuss him and his history.

Here's why: I'm planning on one day taking a trek thru the Mississippi Delta--mainly to look for blues roots and the infamous "crossroads."

During that time, I'm also wanting to be on a Henson Trek, and view the museum. Does anybody have any information about the address of the museum as well as other pertinent locations around Leland and/or Greenville MS that should be of interest, including addresses? Such as the address of where Jim grew up (whether it's a store now or whatever).

Whatever information anybody has about his Mississippi Delta life, please post here.

Thanks,
Foz

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Wow! A great idea. A thread about Jim Henson. Why hasn't it been done before? Leave it up to ol' Foz.

Well, my first suggestion would be to visit the Leland, Mississippi webpage for information on the whereabouts of the museum, and they also have some interesting tidbits on Blues locations. There's such a thing called the "Deer creek Festival". Deer Creek, as we all know, is where Jim Henson used to "hang out". I'd suggest going around that time. That's what I plan to do when I get to go. Er, on second thought, that's when they're crowded the most, too. They get a lot of tourists as it is!

Here's something from the website:

Birthplace of the Frog: An Exhibit of Jim Henson's Delta Boyhood

The Jim Henson Exhibit is housed in the Washington County Tourist Center/Leland Chamber of Commerce in Leland, Mississippi. The Exhibit was given by The Jim Henson Company as "a gift to the people of Leland." The Exhibit features a tableau honoring Kermit the Frog's birth on Deer Creek, photographs from the Henson Family Album, a video center with many of Jim Henson's early works and a gift shop. A separate room is filled with Muppet memorabilia. Pack a lunch and enjoy the park that surrounds the Exhibit -- beautiful Deer Creek -- the birthplace of Kermit the Frog.

No admission fee. However, your donations will be greatly appreciated for the upkeep and maintenance of the Exhibit. Tours for 10 or more people are available upon request.

Directions:
The Exhibit is located on the bank of Deer Creek, one and 1/2 miles west of the intersection of Hwy. 82 and Hwy. 61.

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday 1 pm. - 5 p.m.

Group Tours available upon request
Call (662) 686-2687 or 1-888-307-6364

P.O. Box 67
Leland, Mississippi 38756
(662) 686-2687
Fax: (662) 686-2689
lcoc@tecinfo.com

They have all sorts of information regarding transportation, recreation,

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's great! Thanks!

I'm going to email them to see if they have any personal addresses or etc. where Jim grew up and all that. I'd like to be able to get photos of those areas!!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You can find photos of his birthplace (not his home. I think it was a hospital) and Deer Creek by doing an Image search on www.google.com. Search by "Jim Henson". I think his birthplace is the museum now, but I'm not sure. There's a Kermit the Frog head dangling off of it. A real small one, but you can see it in the pictures.

Deer Creek looks soooo horribly muddy now. I wonder what it looked like when Jim used to go there. It'd be wonderful to see them clear it up.

:smile: :sleep: :sympathy: :big_grin: :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, I just wanted to mention that, after reviewing so many of his early, and later performances, Jim Henson has to be, by far, my favorite of the Muppet performers. Of course, every one of the Muppeteers are wonderful in every way, but, there's something about Jim's characters that draw me to them. Mahna Mahna, Cantus, Convincing John, Ernie, Dr. Teeth, Waldorf, Rowlf, Kermit-- Just all of them! I can't think of a single one of his performances I didn't like. The best character in all of Bunny Picnic was the dog, performed by Jim. He brought a certain innocence to his characters. He brought that wild and zany humor of his to his characters. And of course, they all had heart.

Whatever

Reaction score
The phone number for the JH museum given by SS is different from the one listed at the MC article about it. Maybe Phillip needs to update it?
I think I am going to drag my mom out to visit the JH museum there sometime. There is also a baroque German art exhibit in Jackson now that I want to see, which is apparently not too far away from Leland. Sounds like a good day's outing! :big_grin:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
On the note of Henson Excursions, how about the Washington DC area where Jim went to high school? One thing stands out in my mind that you HAVE to see if you go to DC- the John H. Wilkins Company (where Jim did his absolutely bizarre coffee ads) is still alive and kicking, I believe. Another is the WTOP station (still running, even!) where Jim did Sam and Friends for all those wonderful years.

BJ

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
On the note of Henson Excursions, how about the Washington DC area where Jim went to high school? One thing stands out in my mind that you HAVE to see if you go to DC- the John H. Wilkins Company (where Jim did his absolutely bizarre coffee ads) is still alive and kicking, I believe. Another is the WTOP station (still running, even!) where Jim did Sam and Friends for all those wonderful years.

BJ
THAT would be cool to visit! I bet there's some stuff in the Wilkins coffee place.