Jim Henson's "City Critters" Figures

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Saw these a couple of days ago, and I think I have someone lined up to get me a set from San Diego Comic Con. I emailed ToyTokyo, they dont know yet if they'll offer these online or not.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Toy_Tokyo_Jim_Henson_The_City_Critters_107435.asp

Really fun character design though, and I'd love to hear more about the story of when Jim Henson created these characters. Of course, Im going to be really embarressed if these weren't from the ideas of "THE" Jim Henson, but some random toy designer named Jim Henson... (And yes, I realize Jim Henson passed away many years ago).

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
thats so cool I dont care who created them they're awsome looking!
And I believe they are jim hensons characters i atleast know for a fact that the yellow and orange one in the front is.

tomahawk

Reaction score
I'm going to be picking these up. I hope there are some left on Sat. They look great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It would be disappointing if these really weren't Jim henson designs... especially since they have an artisti feel like his early sketches...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone please describe these? Rather hard to gain interest when there's almost no information telling me what hexactly these critters are. Please post here, thanks for your help.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the pics. Unfortunately, my blind batty eyes prevent me from appreciating photos on a TV or computer screen, which is why I rely more on textual descriptions informing me as to the product, character or figure itself. Hope you can understand, and if you can provide descripts I'd appreciate it immensely.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Count: These figures are so crazy looking it's going to be tough, but I'll try.
I was looking for info on the original characters so I could call them by name, but couldn't find anything quickly. All of these have a Japanese look to them I think. I'm using the flickr picture as a reference, there is a row of 4 critters standing on their packaging and 4 critters standing below on the "table". I guess the first thing to keep in mind is that almost all of the characters are kinda round balls (or oval balls) with head and body combined, and they have small feet.

Critter #1:
This is a green monster type guy. He has darkish green fur, a big open mouth, and a bunch of sharp looking teeth. He is pretty scary. He has little yellow beady eyes and light green small feet. His body is kind of shaped like a big oval and his hands / arms are raised up like he is trying to scare you. Like he could scare the Count!

Critter #2:
This guys head reminds me of a goofy sun. His round head is bright yellow, and his hair / fur kind of looks like the traingles around a sun. (sun beams)
Or like the top of a crown, but they go all around his big face. He has a huge goofy smile and is showing his huge white teeth. He has two small black dots for eyes which are spaced far apart. Below his big round yellow head are two colored horizontal "stripes" that are pink and orange. It kind of looks like a crazy colored cave man pair of pants / dress. And then he has small dark purple feet. He looks very happy and goofy.

Critter #3:
This guy looks like a blue owl. He has a rounded square shape head / body that is blue, with yellow horns, yellow eyes (with black pupils close together) and under his eyes are two colored "rings" which are two different shades of light purple. He has dark blue wings that kind of look your batty wings, and are located in the lower section of his body, coming out from his back.
He has blue feet with yellow claws.

Critter #4:
Here is a goofy looking monster. He is a big green oval, with no feet, his body just tapers off to a flat bottom. His main body is light kermit green, and he has dark green hair sticking up from his head. He has crazy looking eyes - they are small and blue, but have two lellow and orange rings around them making him look wacked out. He's pretty fat, has a couple yellow spots on his belly, and has one arm held out to the side with his thumb up.

Critter #5:
Purple dude that reminds me of a cat. Big cylinder shaped body, purple color, large open mouth (red inside) with several large yellow teeth. Tiny purple nose that is placed right above his mouth, and two small yellow / green eyes. Two cat-like ears that are light purple, and two light purple feet that aren't much larger than the ears but are pointed down to support him. (The feet are kinda like upside triangles) He has his arms out and pulled back, and has red fingers.

Critter #6:
This one is my favorite. He is crazy and wacked out looking.
He is blue with a huge open mouth that is red on the inside. The mouth takes up half of his head / body. He is kind of furry. His eyes are completely crazy.
The left eye is light green, the right eye is a bright light neon blue, but they have crazy yellow and orange rings around them. Two large colorful rings around the green and blue eyeballs. He also has a long Bert-like nose that is yellow, and two small pigeon-like yellow feet.

Critter #7:
This is a big round orange furball. He is a big ball, with lots of fur sculpting, but his head is flat and he has small ears. The top of his head reminds me of Yoda's or someones.... He has two yellow eyes that are ovals like Ernie, and a rounder long nose kind of like Bert's only dark green. He has two tiny little legs / feet that are pink.

Critter #8:
The last one looks like he could be a cross between an ogar, a troll and Elmo.
He is shorter than the others and orange or red in color. My guess is orange. He's really the only character whos head is separate from its body. The head is kinda small, red and kinda furry. Little green eyes and a mostly round little light blue nose. His body looks clothed in a striped outfit which is orange and yellow striped. He has long arms hanging to the side which are also striped. Even his flat wide feet are striped.

Feel free to ask any questions. This was really tough.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all that great help Kevin. Only question I have is, how much and where can I find 'em?
These sound like they'd fit perfectly into my Counting Castle with all it's spooky haunters. Again, thank you so very much.