finding a Q&A page with an e-mail address to e-mail if you have any
questions. I e-mailed them and asked my questions in which they
answered. They were very short answers but they answered. This
morning, I e-mailed with a few more. I titled the e-mail "Questions
Part 2". In the e-mail they said, "We've answered your "Questions
Part 2 below and we appreciate your interest and curiosity but
please, no "Questions Part 3"!". Which I thought was rude. If they
did not want any Muppet fans to e-mail them asking questions, then
they SHOULD take the Q&A page off their site or the e-mail address.
I don't know about you but this lowers my loyality as a Muppet & Jim
Henson fan some. I am not trying to turn anyone against them
because of what they said to me but this angers me a bit. What
would you do if you were in my place? Would you feel the same way?

Brian

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

Why not post your questions here instead? It's likely someone else is asking the same questions as you are. That is part of the reason why the forum exists.

Henson spends a lot more time answering fan questions that many corporations do, however, they can't do it 24/7.

jediX

Reaction score
Go ahead and post em in this thread if you want, Brian -- I can try and answer them. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Henson spends a lot more time answering fan questions that many corporations do, however, they can't do it 24/7.
That's no reason for them to be rude. I wonder who it is answers these emails ? I've heard of a few dodgy replies, maybe it's interns who go off and get the right answers.

jediX

Reaction score
I remember reading a story of a guy who got a rude reply when he emailed ABC about a tv show. I'll try and look up that article.

bigkybp

Reaction score
Whoever answered my e-mail for the company said I should try to search for the answers myself. And I don't think, if I searched on a search engine with the question as the query, that I would find the answer.

I know the Jim Henson Company cannot answer 24/7 but if they did not want anyone to send an e-mail to ask questions, they need to take the e-mail address off.

A person answered my e-mail but did not put his or her name. The answers were short. The answers they did provide are in ( ).

My questions to them were as follows.

1. When they create a new Muppet, how do they determine which Muppeteer would be right for that Muppet? I mean to operate it and be the voice of that Muppet?

There answer (Yes). That does not explain how they choose a Muppeteer.

2. If memory serves, wasn't there another Muppeteer who performed Miss
Piggy? I believe it was the same Muppeteer who did Janice and Scooter.
Am I right? Before Frank Oz took the character over.

Their answer (No). I just got an e-mail correcting that statement saying (YES, It was Richard Hunt.)

3. I also wanted to tell them that I bought the "It's A Very Muppet
Christmas" and loved it. Especially the extras on the DVD. Like
bloopers, Pepe's studio, etc. I had heard about the movie on NBC but
never seen it. I hardly watch tv these days unless it is a show that I
like. Now what I am about to ask maybe asking of operations of them
company but sometimes I am not sure. I just wonder about things like
this. I have notice that throughout the years JHC has gone through
several home video distributors. Noticing that "Its A Very Muppet
Christmas" is released through MGM and now their new movie "Good Boy"
being distributed by MGM too. I thought through a deal that was made
publicly known that JHC was gonna still release movies and other shows
on home video/DVD though Sony Pictures. If this does fall into the
"operations" category and you can't answer, I understand. I was just
generally curious about it. I am not wanting to know the secrets of
your company. Just why that your company does not stick with one studio
to distribute the movies and shows on video & DVD.

Their answer (This falls into the "operations" category and we can't answer)

4. On an official Muppeteer site, Karen Prell's site, she says that Fraggle
Rock is being released on DVD in 1 country. I believe it was said in
France. I would have thought the U.S. would be first in it being
released before any other country. Will Fraggle Rock be released here?

Their answer (We have not decided)

5. I know you can't release everything that the company has done. Lots of
studio companies say that. But I would love for Muppets Tonight to be
released. I have not seen the show but from what I have seen on your
site, I would love to see it. The song on your site is catchy too.

Their answer (No plans to release "Muppets Tonight!")

6. I have been reading rumors on the internet that after lots of Farscape
fans had been petitioning Sci-Fi channel to continue the series that
they ordered a 4 hour mini-series or something. Is that true? I can't
seem to find any official statements backing up this rumor.

Their answer (We don't comment on rumors)

I know someone said to post the questions and they would try to answer. But I thought I would ask THE source who would know the answers. But I guess IF I have any future questions, I will ask here. Cause whoever is answering JHC's fan e-mail, has nearly lost me as a Muppet/JHC fan. That just ticked me off. The person answering could have worded it better. I had a similar problem with Nintendo of America. I sent back an e-mail telling of what I thought of their response. They changed their tune quick. I could go into detail but that is a different story. I am not wanting to know the secrets of how the JHC operates. But find things that fall into the "operations" catagory fascinating to know. I have wrote "operations" type categories to the producer of "The Price Is Right" and he told me what he could tell me but did not say something like "do not write any more letters" or anything.

Brian

jediX

Reaction score
Eric Jacobson does Piggy most of the time now. Back in season 1 of TMS, Hunt and Oz traded off with piggy. Sometime mid season 1 or season 2 Oz took over Piggy full-time and developed her character.

Bottom line, customer service is rude. I don't even bother emailing companies because I know I will just get blown off.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
1. My guess is that they hold some sort of audition

2. This question is very easy to find the answer to on the net.

3. Of course they can't answer this question.

4. Fraggle Rock is released in France. Rumor has it that there is a UK release on the way. No word yet about a US release.
Their answer is pretty standard.

5. A standard reply.

6. Of course they won't say anything about this yet, until it's official.
I am not wanting to know the secrets of how the JHC operates. But find things that fall into the "operations" catagory fascinating to know. I have wrote "operations" type categories to the producer of "The Price Is Right" and he told me what he could tell me but did not say something like "do not write any more letters" or anything.
Brian
It's understandable that you want to know alot of those things, but it's logical that they can't answer them. I think you got that reply because alot of your questions is about things they can't tell you until it's official.

I've asked them a few questions before and I have gotten a answer on all of them. One important thing to keep in mind is that most questions, like no 2, can be answered by people on this board. So always search for the answers first before you mail them. And don't do it too often.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't think the sarcasm was intended to be rude; just playing a little rough I'd suggest. they've always been so helpful to me and responded well to my questions in the past, but I don't email very very often with tons of questions, and the shorter the emails and questions the quicker the replies.

I'd also post questions here at MC or TP before questioning them. I normally quiz them after no answer can be found here. All the questions you've sent them have been answered here at MC in the past. Maybe we need a "Sticky" thread for questions about the JHC and Muppets?

Otherwise, you might just try checking the Muppet Central FAQ's:
http://www.muppetcentral.com/help/index.shtml

bigkybp said:
A person answered my e-mail but did not put his or her name. The answers were short.
1. Auditions by the main performers or it's just written out that way with a character intended for a certain performer, performers grab the characters and each plays with them until someone is comfortable, or someone starts and then passes it on to another performer, or in the case of replacing Classic Characters they hold auditions in the main performers.

2. Richard Hunt, then Frank Oz.

3. You can almost bet it has something to do with money, who offers what and who charges less.

4. Fraggle Rock in France---as mentioned below.

5. No news of being released, however you can get copies from other MC members by posting in the Wanted section!!

6. Wouldn't you be crushed if they offered incorrect information on rumors and raised your hopes? Check this post HERE about this particular THREAD in which there's short discussion about Farscape. I imagine you'll hear about the news at MC before JHC will ever make official announcements about Farscape (Heck, Jerry Nelson once said he looks at MC to find out what he's doing next)!

Folks from the JHC frequent MC and TP, and they're always lurking! Sometimes they post, even, but we don't know who they are or where they're posting from.

Luke

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I don't think the sarcasm was intended to be rude; just playing a little rough I'd suggest
Pity they couldn't have used a polite brush off though, that person answering is representing the image of the whole company. There are usually stock answers for 1, 3 and 4 which most people get. Them getting 2 wrong shows he must have just got an inexperienced person answering. I agree they are usually very good.