'Jim Henson and Philosophy': Imagination and the Magic of Mayhem

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of reading this book that came out recently; it is a collection of essays written by well-noted Professors of Philosophy, edited by Timothy M. Dale and Joseph J. Foy. The essays are studies of Jim's values and morals in regards to the ideas of philosophers such as Aristotle and Epicurus. They take a closer look at several of Jim's productions; including Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Labyrinth, The Storyteller and MirrorMask in order to further analyse what Jim was trying to teach the world about becoming better people and stronger communities, among other notions.

I first heard about it on The Muppet Cast and it intrigued me. I've never had the chance to study philosophy, but it seems like a perfect idea use Jim as means to study philosophy in the area of popular culture. It's proving to be really interesting so far and despite the essays being written by scholars, it's pretty easy to understand. I really do love it.

Has anyone else here picked up the book? I'd love to know what you think of it. I'll be writing a review for the Muppet Mindset once I've finished reading, so anything you guys have to say would be really helpful!