JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

• Yes, take advantage of the new technology

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No, don't mess with the magic of the original

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whatever

Reaction score
I think the seuel craze a la Disney is stupid. Maybe a prequel. But it already has the perfect ending.

maxdrive

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
Looking forward for the new merchandise...!
We really need more Dark Crystal figures!
Hey if the movie does do well you might want to show the henson company your work like your castle they mighthire you or at least want to produce it.

Laszlo

Reaction score
maxdrive said:
Hey if the movie does do well you might want to show the henson company your work like your castle they mighthire you or at least want to produce it.
I already thought about that... :smile:

MWoO

Reaction score
zeldazipple said:
I don't think they are trying to 'top' the originial, just add to the story. Like what happinging now. I think it would be interesting to see a sequial with the new tech. that's av. now that wasn't 23 years ago this should be a treat. I mean Henson has done some susessful films in the past so I don't think we will be disapointed.
I like the idea of adding to the story, but like other said a prequel would actually be more appealing. I do hope that this can turn into a series of various epic story movies. I also hope they use mostly puppets and real sets and models. Combining puppets and CGI would be Jim Henson's dream come true.

Sunrise

Reaction score
Prequel vs. Sequel

So many folks on here are expressing dissapointment that a sequel, rather than a prequel, is being made. It's an interesting thing to mull over.

I think ultimately I prefer a sequel, unless they were to do a prequel that occured so far before the first film that we wouldn't simply be seeing a visual interpretation of what we already know: the crystal cracks, the races split, mass genocide ensues. How depressing is that? I mean, sure, the visuals would no doubt be wonderful, and the story would be well-told, but I find it difficult to get as emotionally involved with characters if I already know what is going to happen to them, especially if I know they will end up dead. (Why do I suddenly feel as though I'm talking about the Star Wars prequels?)

I understand the problems with a sequel; no one wants to see Jen and Kira portrayed in any way that is inconsistent with their original looks or personalities, and in a lot of ways it was sweet to end their story nice and tidy where it was, and let your imagination take over from there. But I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here.

It is true that the movie's main flaw was a rather ineffective storyline. The silly narrative voice-over didn't help; a direct violation of the film rule, "Don't tell me, show me." Visually, of course, it was as stunning as we all expect a Henson movie to be, and I think they will not dissapoint us in that area this time. So what I'm really concerned about is a stronger story. One of the challenges with DC is that it is not a comedy, unlike pretty much every other Henson production of that era I can think of. It takes itself deadly seriously. And that is a much harder thing to pull off with puppetry, particularly with cute puppets like the gelflings, so you'd better have a rock-solid story to help people suspend disbelief.

Now, the CG debate: the thing about CGI, to me, is that it has become sort of the "easy way out", in the sense that before it was available, the creators were forced into very innovative, creative ways to do things, and without that necessity we wouldn't have many of the wonderful puppetry techniques available now. But nowadays, it seems like the moviemakers just go, "Well, I can't think of a good way to do that effect...so we'll just do that in CGI." Now, I realize that CGI is an incredibly complex art with its own series of brilliant creative innovations, and I'm not belittling it at all. It has its crucial role in film. I just think many filmmakers have become too dependent on it, at the expense of being creative and innovative themselves. (Again, Star Wars deja-vu).

I prefer to be cautiously optimistic, in any case. It's amazing they are doing it at all, considering the box-office failure of the original. If they didn't think they could make this film work, they wouldn't touch the material with a fifty-foot pole, let alone make it a theatrical release. At least that's what I believe and hope. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll just ignore it the way I do Neverending Story 2&3, and leave it at that.

MWoO

Reaction score
My issue with CGI is that it always looks fake to me. No matter how realistic it is, it has this cartoony quality to it. You can't beat real sets and real puppet characters. Of course, there are things you just can't do with puppets as we have seen with Yoda. So who knows.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Prophecy cause all this trouble. . .

You know, i was excited to see this news story. But at the same time, I'm on the fence about it. There is a heck of a lot to live up to for a sequel or prequel to this film. The cast of characters really made this film. And I don't think another Dark Crystal, wtihout the Skesis, would be all that interesting. And even if they were involved, well, we're back to making the same film. . . again.

The original was such an "organic" film, made from scratch, with very deep and personal ideas from Jim and Frank, and honestly the most original film I've ever seen. I really can't see Brian or hardly anyone, picking up the pieces and trying to make another one. Even Frank, I mean, he's missing his other half unfortunately!

The music was incredible too, so without the same composer, you are definately missing the feel/atmosphere of the world. I could go on and on, and if your a fan of the film, you know what I'm talking about. There is just a lot of good and original stuff in the first one, and to attempt to "do it again" will be a HUGE gamble, and honestly very difficult to make. And I could have SWORN Jim was adament that a sequel of any kind to this film was not to be touched or even created. And I would agree with that. The Dark Crystal has a great beginning and ending, and wraps itself up nicely. It's a complete package.

well, good luck Brian. . . and whoever takes the helm. It's going to be a HUGE challenge both in story and visually. Yeah, you've got Froud, possibly Frank, and Dave, but it was so much more that made the film, and unfortunately the main ingredient, your father, just isn't here anymore to complete that puzzle. Yet God only knows I wish he was, he was the biggest inspiration of my life.

But what can I say. If they make it. . . I'll go see it.

Mario

Reaction score
I voted for "No, don't mess with the magic of the original" before I read this. But, now if I could, I'd change it to the other one. I think that a mix of CG and puppetry would be the best. I love the idea of an animated cartoon series, but very much against a japanese interpretation. I'd much rather see a style similar to Black Cauldron, or other dark 80s cartoon shows, which for some reason examples of which have escaped me at the moment. Also, to Krazedmuppet who said "(aka cinderella 2, little mermaid 2, Lady and the Tramp 2... you just cant make a sequil to a classic, well, just for the sake of makeing money anyway, and cuz they ran out of ideas)" They [the creative staff at Disney] didn't run out of ideas. It was about money. The reason that all the sequals were made was because playing off a classic is more financially sound than trying something new. The budgets were set low, which meant that there wouldnt be a theatre release nor money enough for a well thought out script. But, for this film, saying that it will release to the theatres is a huge sign. It shows that they are going to actually give this film a decent budget and a chance. The creative staff will have a chance to express themselves and create, hopefully, another classic.

Imawitchusay

Reaction score
Dark crystal 2

well I am very excited about another movie being made. I LOVED the first one. But what I do not like is that they say the skeksies (Spellling?) are going t ocome back.. How is that possibe??? I hate that Idea! Ihope they reconcider that thought. the skeksies no longer exist...right?????

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
...This isen't true...right? Just a rumor...right?

Somebody...anybody please tell me this isen't true! I would be all for a prequel like the Urskeks coming to Thra and the begining of that, but not a seaquel. I have a feeling thier going to ruin it ... this in my opinion would be like them taking a complete movie and adding onto it. You can't really do that, and look what happens when they do there are inconsitinces all over the place! Are they bringing Aughra back? What about the voices actors? Did Jim Henson , Frank Oz and Brain Froud even want a seaquel? Are Frank and Brain on board? Trevor Jones would have to write the score ... I will go see it if and when it comes out ... I'll just see then I guess.