1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by beaker, May 13, 2005.

?

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

Poll closed May 15, 2006.
Yes, take advantage of the new technology 43 vote(s) 65.2%
No, don't mess with the magic of the original 23 vote(s) 34.8%

1. Gorgon Heap Active Member

Did anybody else notice what I did? Screenplay by Annette Duffy and David Odell, Emmy-winning staff writer from The Muppet Show and moreover the screenwriter of the original Dark Crystal. That should be enough to give one some hope. Shows that they're not just giving the assignment to some talentless yutz who knows nothing of the Muppets but will work cheaply because they're unseasoned.

By extension, it gives me hope for the Fraggle Rock movie. I mean here they got the original writer back- dare we hope that JHC may do the same for the FR pic and recruit, say, Jocelyn Stevenson, or Bob Sandler, or Laura Phillips, or Sugith Varughese, or David Young? I'm bowled over by the fact that they actually care who's on board for this.

Wish I could say the same for Kermit's Swamp Years and other recent Muppet projects.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  2. DTWolf Member

I'm both encouraged and discouraged by the latest press releases about this movie. Encouraged, oddly, that it's set "hundreds of years" after the first film and does not star Jen and Kira. I was afraid it would be Jen and Kira a few years later, doing the same thing over again. It STILL may be two other characters doing the same thing over again, but it is a little better. At least there's a bigger opening for character development since these are two characters we've never seen before.

But I'm discouraged by the mention that the backgrounds will all be CGI. That makes me very nervous. It could turn out okay, but there's an equal chance it will look lousy, and in any case it won't--can't-- have the level of realism of the first film.

(And, let's face it, if they're doing this to save money, their CGI is NOT likely to be up to the level of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.)
  3. Cantus Rock New Member

I've got my fingers crossed on this one, but I can't really have that mentioned hope. The rapid decline has gotten so low that it just doesn't seem possible for anything good to come of these spin-offs, sequels and rips.
  4. Gorgon Heap Active Member

IMO the biggest factor in said decline has been the writing. KSY could've been better with another rewrite and some restraint. Also a director with an eye for subtlety and not the compulsion to overplay everything to the hilt, and human actors who can actually act. But it starts with the writing.

Wasn't MWOO written by two people who wrote "Home Alone 4"? Shouldn't that alone be cause for concern? Not that it's necessarily the writers' fault to have gotten stuck with something so thankless, but it doesn't look good on one's credentials either.

I always had the feeling that much of MT! was written by writers who may have been talented in their own writing environments, but whose knowledge of the Muppets was only skin-deep. Likewise the directors, from successful shows like "Friends" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", who may be fine directors but that doesn't necessarily qualify them to direct for the Muppets.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  5. Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

If it gets made I don't think I'll be having anything to do it. I voted no because TDC was really designed to be a stand alone single story in the first place. Like all those classic Disney movies that were supposed to end when they ended until the company went sequel crazy after the passing of Walt. And now the same thing is probably going to happen to TDC with the passing of Jim.
  6. Frogster Active Member

Honestly... one Dark Chrystal is enough
  7. Lazarus New Member

I still would go see it, but I wish they would just stick to old fashioned sets and puppets rather the CG.
  8. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Im desperate to find out more about this film. Can anyone tell me were I can see what the characters look like ?
  9. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

the movie is going to be set hundreds of years after the first? Either gelflings live longer than i thought or jen and keira(sorry if i missplelled that) are dead:confused: :crazy: :crazy:
  10. Laszlo Member

Gelflings live several hundred years. Jen & Kira are old now.
  11. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Can anyone explain why Jen has a patch of blue skin on his forehead? Is it some sort of birth mark or a scar?
  12. LadyVader New Member

???

:confused: When did disney get the TDC there not muppets???:confused:
  13. Laszlo Member

This was Frouds design. Originally Jen was completely blue.
  14. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Okay, thanks for explaining:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
  15. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

I had this weird dream last night that I was watching "The Power of the Dark Crystal". I regret that I don't remember much except that Jen had a son named Heerrong or somthing like that. Weird huh?
  16. Mystic Master Member

Its hard to imagine a DC movie without characters like the Mystics, and others from the original movie, I guess its one of those wait-and-see films. If the movie contained both puppets and CGI (Star Wars quality) I think it would turn out nicely. I would also like some action figures from the movie, and hopefully a "flashback" series of figures from the original DC as well...
  17. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Heerrong? As in "at first I thought we would cast him, but it turns out heerrong for the part."

:p
  18. crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Like I said it was just a dream and you never know what weird stuff you dream.:confused: :crazy:
  19. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Yeah, I had a doozy of a dream last night. I wish it had been about The Dark Crystal!
  20. nickmetroid New Member

Well I'm sort of 50/50 on what to choose on the poll. I want to see a sequel but keep it to puppets/animatronics and not do it in CGI (except maybe for certain special effects) as I think modernising it will just ruin the experience.