1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by beaker, May 13, 2005.

?

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

Poll closed May 15, 2006.
  1. Yes, take advantage of the new technology

43 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No, don't mess with the magic of the original

23 vote(s)
    34.8%

1. "Cast List"

This is intresting, Imdb now has the "cast" list up. Here's the rundown. If anybodys intrested...

Directed by
    Brian Henson

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)
    Annette Duffy screenplay
    David Odell screenplay

Cast (in credits order)
    Stephen Garlick .... Jen (voice)
    Lisa Maxwell .... Kira (voice)
    Billie Whitelaw .... Aughra (voice)
    Barry Dennen .... Chamberlain (voice)
    Michael Kilgarriff .... General (voice)
    Jerry Nelson .... High Priest (voice)

If correct this list is near complete. Hmm...aren't the Skesis now the Urskeks? Never could spell that word. Has anybody brought this up? The Dark Crystal being my favorite movie, I'm really confused. Well all they need now is Trevor Jones on board.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

All I gotta say, is between the news of Dark Crystal 2..along with Dark Crystal the anime series, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth manga comics, Fraggle Rock th emovie and a new Muppet film...it's a glorious new era coming soon. Having just seen MirrorMask, its good to see Jim Henson back with a creative vision.

Incidentally, I saved my email correspondance with someone who was a veteran at Jim Henson Creature Shop London, where even as far back as 2002 or 2003 they really wanted to do a sequel. Back in 1998 Brian Henson said they were thinking of a Dark crystal prequel.

As long as puppets and animatronics are prominent, this will be absolutely glorious. So yeah, I guess the Disney aquisitionis freeing up JHC for all these awesome dream projects.
  3. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I am in full support of this project. I've wanted a sequel ever since I saw the original.
  4. Labyrinth Fairy

Labyrinth Fairy New Member

don't hate! O.O:crazy:
  5. froggiegirl18

froggiegirl18 New Member

I'm confused

"Hmm...aren't the Skesis now the Urskeks"..you're right they would be because in the last one they left the planet...so how would they be two again..because it really had nothing to do with the crystal but it was because of their greed and pride that a shard broke off causing them to split..I know this may not make sense..But if someone broke off the same piece that was restored it would be the Urskeks because they were united together..I would think they would come back in the same way they left. In fact that's how they met Aughra. Hmm seems like to me the company needs to do some more research such as reading "The world of the Dark Crystal".
  6. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

7. Land Strider

Land Strider New Member

Woo freakin hoo! :excited:
  8. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

9. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

alright Trevor!

good, im glad they got Trevor Jones. That movie would not be the same without him, there is no way anyone else could capture the ambiance of the world like him, it would be like directing the sequel without Jim Hens. .. . oh, wait they are. . .

I must be the only skeptic of this so called prequel/sequel. I LOVE dark crystal, but I'm not really sure where in the world they could go with this. I just read an old article, one interviewing Jim and Gary Kurtz about the movie, and they were adament even then, they had no plans to do a sequel, that there was really no where for the film to go. They talked about how sequels are really just the same story, told differently and not worth it, they were made just to put more money in the bank. Their tone seemed to indicate, they were pretty much against anything like this. I forgot where I saw this, because I did a Google search, and found someones website dedicated to the film, and scanned in a magazine article from the 80's, that interviewed them both.

but I think it was spot on. How else can you do this film again? There's only one way. . . crack the crystal again. A prequel may have been interesting, but I"m not sure. I think this film is one of the rare gems that just needs to be left alone. i dont' know, i guess time will tell, but sorry, I'm skeptical. I think they are messing with a classic, because since Jim passed away, there hasn't been alot of ideas/creativity left in the company. You can really see how Jim was the visionary, he definately left his mark.
  10. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

I find it intresting that Disney will be the ones to release The Dark Crystal 2

I'd have never though in a million years i'd ever see a seaquel to The Dark Crystal released by Disney
  11. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

yep

It seems a little odd to me too. A Disney logo, right before something like The Dark Crystal doesn't make sense to me. It's like the Disney logo coming on before Saw 2 or something. Just doesn't feel right.

I don't know. there also hasn't been much reporting on this supposed sequel/prequel anyways, so I don't know if I even believe its going to go to production. but then, I have little faith in it right now anyways.

we'll see.
  12. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

wow! Disney is releasing this!?! cool... in an odd way! :smirk:
  13. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Disney is not making it, I don't know where that rumor, assumption or misunderstanding came from... but Disney is not involved in this project. Maybe it came from a misunderstanding of the Henson/Muppet/Disney deal, or the fact that Disney had released the first film on VHS a while back, or maybe it came from something else...but Disney is not involved in producing or releasing this film (or at least they aren't at this point in time).
  14. mb22

mb22 New Member

Here's the latest:
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117937178&categoryID=13&cs=1

Henson taps 'Dark' lord
    Helmer becomes 'Crystal' clear

By MICHAEL FLEMING
    The Jim Henson Co. has set Genndy Tartakovsky to direct "Power of the Dark Crystal," sequel to 1982 fantasy film "The Dark Crystal."
    Tartakovsky, who created the animated series hits "Samurai Jack," "Dexter's Laboratory" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," will involve his Orphanage Animation Studios to take the lead on the CG animation elements for the puppet-driven film.

Film becomes a co-production of Henson and the Orphanage. Lisa HensonLisa Henson, co-CEO of the Jim Henson Co., will produce with Orphanage chairman Scott Stewart. Brian Froud has returned to design the new characters.

Pic's development has so far been funded by Henson. Overseas distribution will be sold during the Berlin Film Festival by Odyssey Entertainment; Henson will secure a domestic distributor by the time the film begins production in late summer.

Annette Duffy and David Odell penned the script.

Set hundreds of years after the first pic, sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.

"The original 'Dark Crystal' was the pinnacle of puppetry; they created characters that were as believable as the ones you see in animated films," Tartakovsky said. Tartakovsky said that unlike in the pricey original film, for which otherworldly sets were built, the puppets this time around will operate amid a CGI backdrop.

"There is a limited budget here, and this will be more artsy, in a 'Sin City' fashion, with characters performing over greenscreen and great backgrounds behind it," he said.

Brian Henson, Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill will exec produce.
  15. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Did anybody else notice what I did? Screenplay by Annette Duffy and David Odell, Emmy-winning staff writer from The Muppet Show and moreover the screenwriter of the original Dark Crystal. That should be enough to give one some hope. Shows that they're not just giving the assignment to some talentless yutz who knows nothing of the Muppets but will work cheaply because they're unseasoned.

By extension, it gives me hope for the Fraggle Rock movie. I mean here they got the original writer back- dare we hope that JHC may do the same for the FR pic and recruit, say, Jocelyn Stevenson, or Bob Sandler, or Laura Phillips, or Sugith Varughese, or David Young? I'm bowled over by the fact that they actually care who's on board for this.

Wish I could say the same for Kermit's Swamp Years and other recent Muppet projects.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  16. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

I'm both encouraged and discouraged by the latest press releases about this movie. Encouraged, oddly, that it's set "hundreds of years" after the first film and does not star Jen and Kira. I was afraid it would be Jen and Kira a few years later, doing the same thing over again. It STILL may be two other characters doing the same thing over again, but it is a little better. At least there's a bigger opening for character development since these are two characters we've never seen before.

But I'm discouraged by the mention that the backgrounds will all be CGI. That makes me very nervous. It could turn out okay, but there's an equal chance it will look lousy, and in any case it won't--can't-- have the level of realism of the first film.

(And, let's face it, if they're doing this to save money, their CGI is NOT likely to be up to the level of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.)
  17. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

I've got my fingers crossed on this one, but I can't really have that mentioned hope. The rapid decline has gotten so low that it just doesn't seem possible for anything good to come of these spin-offs, sequels and rips.
  18. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

IMO the biggest factor in said decline has been the writing. KSY could've been better with another rewrite and some restraint. Also a director with an eye for subtlety and not the compulsion to overplay everything to the hilt, and human actors who can actually act. But it starts with the writing.

Wasn't MWOO written by two people who wrote "Home Alone 4"? Shouldn't that alone be cause for concern? Not that it's necessarily the writers' fault to have gotten stuck with something so thankless, but it doesn't look good on one's credentials either.

I always had the feeling that much of MT! was written by writers who may have been talented in their own writing environments, but whose knowledge of the Muppets was only skin-deep. Likewise the directors, from successful shows like "Friends" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", who may be fine directors but that doesn't necessarily qualify them to direct for the Muppets.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  19. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

If it gets made I don't think I'll be having anything to do it. I voted no because TDC was really designed to be a stand alone single story in the first place. Like all those classic Disney movies that were supposed to end when they ended until the company went sequel crazy after the passing of Walt. And now the same thing is probably going to happen to TDC with the passing of Jim.
  20. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Honestly... one Dark Chrystal is enough