JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

• Yes, take advantage of the new technology

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No, don't mess with the magic of the original

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pino

Reaction score
That is great.. although I rather see a prequel....

matleo

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Just pulled this off of comingsoon.net which pulled it from Variety. Enjoy!

Here's the link:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9615

Here's the story:

Henson Co. Planning Dark Crystal Sequel
Source: Variety May 13, 2005

The Jim Henson Company is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, reports Variety.

Titled The Power of the Dark Crystal, the new movie is written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which starts shooting this fall for a 2007 release. It will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation.

The story is set many years after the original, which was helmed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson. Original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

The company is also developing an animated series, interactive games and other media as well.

--Matt
:eek:

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
I was just about to come out of absentee status to post this... and someone else barely beat me to it.

This is quite impressive news. :excited:

Rowbes

Reaction score
I'm trying not to get too excited, I've seen more info than that on projects that never materialized.
(But just in case, maybe it's time to send them my resume!)

Movies205

Reaction score
Dark Crystal is awesome, I love it and I love Jim Henson but he was not the greatest of directors so I can see this surpassing the original :up: I much would of rather seen a prequel though :frown:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm of a mind that dictates: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Dark Crystal was as perfect as it could get, and no sequel can top it, compare to it or even remotely improve upon it, especially not one that's going to allow CGI effects. If a sequel had to be made, they should go back to the original's roots and strictly use animatronic puppetry. But even then I still think they should leave Dark Crystal untampered with. Brian Henson needs to start seriously thinking things out before he puts events into unchangeable and ultimately detrimental motion.

Movies205

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
I'm afraid I'm of a mind that dictates: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Dark Crystal was as perfect as it could get, and no sequel can top it, compare to it or even remotely improve upon it, especially not one that's going to allow CGI effects. If a sequel had to be made, they should go back to the original's roots and strictly use animatronic puppetry. But even then I still think they should leave Dark Crystal untampered with. Brian Henson needs to start seriously thinking things out before he puts events into unchangeable and ultimately detrimental motion.
Don't be so close-minded, Dark Crystal was not perfect and puppetry is not perfect, CGI could be used to enhance puppetry greatly.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I just read about this on AICN. I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the original, so of course I'm excited at the possibility of another film like it, but I'd be really disappointed if they made something that wasn't as good. Here's hoping for the best!