J-train cartoon: featuring Daws Butler?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Hi,

One cartoon I remember from Sesame Street is the "J-train" cartoon with the J locomotive attaching to other cars to make words (it appears in such Unpaved episodes as #1364 and #2257). Now, the voiceover sounds familiar...and I have wondered, does anybody know if the voiceover ("Hey, look! It's an 'ump'! J.....ump! Jump!") is done by veteran voiceover artist Daws Butler? It sounds vaguely similar to some of his voice roles from Hanna-Barbera cartoons (Auggie Doggie, Elroy Jetson, etc.), so I wonder if anybody knows if it is indeed Daws Butler doing the voiceover for SS' "J-train" cartoon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd have to hear it to be sure...

But I do know Howard Morris (your show of shows, and Wade Duck from Garfield) portrayed Jughead when he made an appearance!

Splurge

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Gary Owens (Roger Ramjet, "Laugh-in" announcer) did voiceovers for numerous cartoon. I believe he was the narrator for the "H-for-Hello" cartoon - the poor soul who falls for the "Hello, is Herald there?" bit.

That doesn't answer the Daws Butler question. But it isn't that far-fetched to think that Daws contributed.

Frazzle

Reaction score
I loved that J train. it would J-ump & J-oin & at the end the j just became J-unk. JJJJ-JJJJ- lol! Brings back fond memories!:wink:

Splurge

Reaction score
Jeffrey Gray said:
Hi,

One cartoon I remember from Sesame Street is the "J-train" cartoon with the J locomotive attaching to other cars to make words (it appears in such Unpaved episodes as #1364 and #2257). Now, the voiceover sounds familiar...and I have wondered, does anybody know if the voiceover ("Hey, look! It's an 'ump'! J.....ump! Jump!") is done by veteran voiceover artist Daws Butler? It sounds vaguely similar to some of his voice roles from Hanna-Barbera cartoons (Auggie Doggie, Elroy Jetson, etc.), so I wonder if anybody knows if it is indeed Daws Butler doing the voiceover for SS' "J-train" cartoon.
Not much help, but kinda interesting: Daws Butler was also the voice of both Ralph Crumden and Ned Morton in the Warner Brothers cartoon "The Honeymousers". He also did Ed Norton impersonations in other cartoons. Va-va-va-voom!

If only we could track down what animation company did that "J-Train" cartoon, maybe there would be someone who could answer this question.

mikealan

Reaction score
I certainly have the J-train cartoon! It was on one of the Unpaveds I certainly have-#1364 (which I got it from Boober Gorg) last week. When I saw it, I think the J-train sounded like Jack from the old educational short from the '60's (not Sesame Street!) called Jack's ABC's.

As I remember it as I watched it in the early '90's in my youth, I think the J-train was the J car that only goes the J sound, not the letter, which took place in the city. It joined the "oin" car to form the word "Join". Then, it jumps next to the "ump" near the tunnel. As we see the bus riding, we see the "et" car where the J car was next to the "et" car to form the word "jet" in the city. After that, the "jet" car zooms fast as the J crashes into the garbage pile as the J goes, "this is the j-j-junk!"

Now as I got to watch the copy of an Unpaved episode (#1364), I was wrong! It took place in the underground train station that features the J-train, and I certainly believe that the J was crashed on the front of the train after it was riding so fast with the "et" car.

That was my memory of this animated skit.