It's Official: Sesame Channel to arrive fall 2005

Mister Fred

Reaction score
Wow! This channel will be great. I have no cable but I just might get it now.
Since I am an OTR truck driver, I will mention this to a rep from idle aire so they can add it to there list of available channels. I can't wait to see this.
Oh, there is another thing you all should know, I heard soon, sesame street episodes should be on dvd, not all just some. I read about it in usa today.

prickle747

Reaction score
I hope the channel makes it's way across the border as well.
(fingers crossed) and Rogers cable is reading this thread. :smile:

BWSmith

Reaction score
Questions about the new channel:

1) Is it essentially guaranteed that the new channel will show material from the "classic" episodes of SS? (Broadly speaking, the episodes produced before Henson's death?)

If so, history has shown that such airings are always temporary, and we should all set our VCRs (and TiVos) to grab as much as possible before the broadcasts go back into the vault...

2) If they do show that classic SS material, will the format be:

a) uncut SS episodes like we got with Unpaved,

b) a "Leonard Maltin"-style, adult-oriented, Turner-Classic-Movies-retrospective where suited historians interview retired SS employees and gab about trivia behind the sketches for 15 minutes (and apologize for politically-incorrect material) before showing 30-second clips of SS sequences,

c) some kid-oriented new programming format like Play With Me Sesame, (where, for example, they digitally superimpose dancing Elmo onto "Mana Mana" to make it more "relevant")? :big_grin:

3) If they do go the route of uncut, full episodes, will they call it "Sesame Street Unpaved" and use the same episodes that a lot of us already have copied and recopied and traded over the past year, or is "Sesame Street Unpaved" explicitly a Noggin production, and they will call it something else with a different lineup of classic episodes?

Thx!

Reaction score
Come and Play Everything's A-Okay.....

That is very exciting news!!!

Before I continue, I beg your forgiveness, I am very new, only a few hours old on this site so I may be asking dumb questions. :concern:

Is Sesame Street Unpaved the old and original Sesame Street shows I grew up with in the 70's? If not, does anybody know if they will show the old classic episodes?

I don't know the characters at ALL anymore. I especially never remembered "Elmo" coming onto the screen. Sorry to the little red puppet lovers but he makes me, well, (soft whisper) a little nauseated - :stick_out_tongue: I just do not understand Elmo's appeal.

But let's not get off topic. Sorry.

Yay for a Sesame Street channel!!!!! I wish I were 4 again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jacquelyne, and welcome to Muppet Central!

First of all, Sesame Street Unpaved refers to two different things. The first is a collection of episodes from the first 20 years of the show's existance originally aired on Noggin. However, the term in that sense has been broadened to mean any and all episodes from the first 20 years of Sesame Street from 1969-1989. The second item the term refers to is the Sesame Street Unpaved book, which is a retrospective on the first 30 years of the show's existance with many a detailed glance at characters and lyrics and sketches and background stories.
Secondly, noone knows at this date what the new Comcast channel will or won't show. Just have to wait till an announcement is made one way or another.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Holy moly! How did I miss this news?! Hooray for this channel! I sincerely hope Mediacom out here in Iowa will carry it, otherwise I may have to move. :smile:

Mario

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
(where, for example, they digitally superimpose dancing Elmo onto "Mana Mana" to make it more "relevant")? :big_grin:
Don't even joke about that, lol, :eek: :smile:

emily

Reaction score
Hooray! I'm so excited!

Sesame Street is the only show my son is allowed to watch (and he's a big Elmo fan), so I can't wait for a whole sesame channel, and the OnDemand stuff! Anyone know what "Early 2005" means, specifically?

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, I have some great news! It's actually supposed to launch this spring! AND at least the first year will consist of ALL "Library." In this case, "Library" means "old material." Just like Noggin was in the beginning. But you have to remember that there isn't all that much material for just preschoolers. So they will also have some shows for ages 6 to 9 to fill that void. Maybe they'll have shows like The Electric Company, Square One TV, 3-2-1 Contact, and maybe even old Sesame Street! I think it probably WILL have old SS, but I'm not sure which episodes. But honestly, even if they DO just pick up the exact same 67 episodes that were on Sesame Street Unpaved, which was once on Noggin, it'll still be nice to see those again. And also, this channel will be offering a LOT of VOD. That will be convenient, so that there's no scheduled time to worry about. I can't wait!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: