It's Official: Disney completes Muppet acquisition

Beebers

Reaction score
beaker said:
...no more Jim Henson's Muppets. Did we ever think there'd come a day where JH signature was taken off?
Never. But then, there's a lot going on with people, and in the world, that I never thought I'd see. *sad sigh*

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
beaker said:
Im surprised there are not more posts here...I guess everyone has had a few months to let it sink in that it is sadly now, tho hopefully not forever DISNEY'S MUPPETS...no more Jim Henson's Muppets. Did we ever think there'd come a day where JH signature was taken off?
Do you all think that Disney will actually take off the "Jim Henson's" of the Title? I think they bought that too, and since Jim Henson was the actual creator, I don't think they can.

MuppetNewsFlash

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
Do you all think that Disney will actually take off the "Jim Henson's" of the Title? I think they bought that too, and since Jim Henson was the actual creator, I don't think they can.

Since no one has seen anything that Disney has put out yet it is hard to say what will officially happen. But unfortunately they can take Jim Henson's name off and add the Disney to the front. We must all just cross our fingers and hope they have the good sense not to, or at least compromise with Disney presents Jim Henson's Muppets. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
MuppetNewsFlash said:
Since no one has seen anything that Disney has put out yet it is hard to say what will officially happen. :smile:
I agree, but they can't have bought the Jim Henson signature from the JIm Henson Company without having bought the whole company! Right?

I'm actually interested to wait and see what happens, like was posted in another thread, May 5, 1955 was the first Muppets experience, and May 5, 2005, is the 50th Anniversary of The Muppets, so I want to see what the Diz is gonna do with them all!

beaker

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I'm actually interested to wait and see what happens, like was posted in another thread, May 5, 1955 was the first Muppets experience, and May 5, 2005, is the 50th Anniversary of The Muppets, so I want to see what the Diz is gonna do with them all!
Kevin brings up something VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT that I have been brining up for a couple years. 2005 marks FIFTY YEARS, thats half a century of The Muppets. No other character brand in the history of the universe has had a more positive global impact than that of Muppets (Muppets, Sesame, Fraggle, Bear, etc).

One year from wednesday marks half a century. This will be the test folks.
In one year do we see the Muppets finally rise back to the glorious promised land weve been waiting so many years for?

Or do they get a short winded misguided burst and fall into obscurity?

I realize there are people that will be happy to forever sit in old nostalgia, and remeness about the good ol TMS era, nary a care about the mdoern Muppets.
The Muppets mean more to me than I could even muster the words to describe...my entire life has been partially devoted to the Muppet cause, since the very early 80's when I was 3. When I have kids I want the Muppets, Sesame, etc to be shining as bright as they did when I was little.

So now we just wait...and hope.

Disney and JHC better **** well have something spectaculair and beautiful planned for next year, with hopefully the celebration starting this fall.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, we don't want to have a tardy beginning like we did on TMS 25th. I hope they plan better for this one; although, I doubt, unfortunately, that JHC will have much more than consulting decisions on what is done. Don't forget, Mr. Curtain now controls the Muppets and was Eisner's right-hand-man for so long that Mr. Curtain will do what Mr. Curtain wants to do, regardless of what anybody suggests.

Mr. Curtain--> "I'm Mr. Eisner Jr; YOU don't tell ME what to do! I can screw this up by myself and you'll love me for it because I say so."

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Don't forget, Mr. Curtain now controls the Muppets and was Eisner's right-hand-man for so long that Mr. Curtain will do what Mr. Curtain wants to do, regardless of what anybody suggests.

Mr. Curtain--> "I'm Mr. Eisner Jr; YOU don't tell ME what to do! I can screw this up by myself and you'll love me for it because I say so."
GRRR!!! I already dislike this guy, and that wasn't even a real quote! LOL

On a side note, interesting that The Muppets' 50th is on Cinco de Mayo! That could be a huge tie-in, especially with Pepe and Rosita in the mix. Well, I guess they might not mix with Sesame Street on this one, but who knows? It only seems right that they would.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Who knows what the 50th Anniversary of the Muppets will bring... I mean, so far, nothing's happened for the 25th of The Muppet Movie.

beaker

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Who knows what the 50th Anniversary of the Muppets will bring... I mean, so far, nothing's happened for the 25th of The Muppet Movie.
not everything can have an anneversary, but surely the half century mark for Muppets is important. If things were still under JHC's control wed be seeing "50th annv" indications on all the packaging later this year and all of 2005. Im sure most of us will be saddened if Disney does not acknowlege this.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was just thinking. Disney could have made those of us who dislike them so badly and are so loyal to JHC and The Muppets become a little less skeptical of their purchase had they actually partnered with JHC on a few projects lately that turned out to be successful. I know I for one would have thought differently about it all. However, now I think that since Disney has control of The Muppets that they'll give them the big push. Just that in 3 to 7 years we'll see them not push them as hard BUT! I don't think the brand will slip away into obscurity like Mickey and Donald have done.