It's Official: Disney completes Muppet acquisition

Beth C

Reaction score
*sniffs*

Tis a sad, sad day....

~Beth C

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I had an email from a JHC rep. that I was talking to about a location in a Muppet film, and she said it was completed also.

This could be a good thing or bad thing; however, I'm sure that over the next 5 to 7 years we'll be inundated with great Muppet stuff, but after that it'll decline.

Heck, Disney doesn't even know what to do with Mickey anymore except use him as a corporate symbol.

I'm disenchanted by Disney, but if they do the Muppets really good, I'll learn to respect them again. With Eisner out of the top seat, things at Disney may turn around for the better.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Let's look at a few thigns about this article now:

Other initiatives actively under consideration include live action releases, theatrical productions, computer-generated three-dimensional animation projects and attractions and parades at Disney's theme parks.
Most of this looks great to me, but computer-generated three-dimensional animation projects scares the caca outta me!! What does THIS mean?? That they'll partner with JHC to create 3D CGI films like Finding Nemo with Pixar, or that they're going to go CGI with The Muppets?!

Chris Curtin, former synergy head for the company and special assistant to Michael Eisner, has been named Vice President and General Manager of the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House business and will oversee the day-to-day operations of the unit that will operate as part of Disney Consumer Products.
So, Mikey Eisner makes the announcement (I thought he was stepped-down by vote of the board), and puts his weenie assistant in charge of The Muppets under Disney Consumer Products, not even in a production title?? Uh-oh...it's going downhill for me now folks!

said Lisa Henson, co-chair and co-CEO of The Jim Henson Company. "Michael Eisner's passion for continuing my father's legacy has been demonstrated by the high quality projects being discussed."
Discussing and doing are two different things, Lisa. I have NO faith in Eisner. If his short-comings and failures in the past aren't representative of his lack of ability to keep something fresh and creative, then too many people are blind.

About Disney Consumer Products

Disney Consumer Products (DCP) is the division of The Walt Disney Company that extends the Disney brand to merchandise ranging from apparel, toys, home dicor and books to interactive games, food and beverages, electronics and fine art. This is accomplished through the work of the division's various lines of business: Disney Toys, Disney Softlines, Disney Hardlines, Disney Publishing, Buena Vista Games and Baby Einstein. The Disney Store also falls under DCP and carries mostly exclusive, non-licensed merchandise.
Keep in mind, gang, that The Dizzy Company plans to put The Muppets under this category of their company. So, at least we'll get merchandise--quality is a different story. Finally, The Muppets go into the Disney Consumer Products subsidiary, and notice that nothing there mentions Tv, Movie, or Stage productions...just merchandise.

I feel totally uncomfortable about all of this now.

Three years, tops, we'll see some decent Muppet stuff before they go into a decline and end up like the early 1990's all over again.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Keep in mind, gang, that The Dizzy Company plans to put The Muppets under this category of their company. So, at least we'll get merchandise--quality is a different story. Finally, The Muppets go into the Disney Consumer Products subsidiary, and notice that nothing there mentions Tv, Movie, or Stage productions...just merchandise.

I feel totally uncomfortable about all of this now.

Three years, tops, we'll see some decent Muppet stuff before they go into a decline and end up like the early 1990's all over again.
I am pretty sure that Winnie the Pooh and characters like that are also under Consumer Products. It doesn't mean that we won't get films or anything like that because Disney has more synergy with other divisions in the Company than most do.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Other Disney proteries tha fall under Consumer Products are Mickey & Friends, Winnie The Poohs, Disney Princesses, Kim Possble. W.I.T.C.H.S, Power Rangers and now the Muppets and Bear. There more proteries but I just listed some of them.

King Jim

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what Disney has planed for the muppets. :smile:

McFraggle

Reaction score
I am anxious too, I hope the Muppet Show re-runs are put on one of the cable networks and also I hope they put the Muppet Babies on the Disney Channel.