It's a Great Day to Be a Muppet Fan!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I see this new Disney push as a different solid approach. The few people that believe Studio DC represents the future of Muppet content really aren't paying attention. I have decided to stay excited and try to refrain from engaging these perpetual naysayers. Bring on the election special, holiday special and the motion picture!

This is indeed the Muppet renaissance fans have been looking for.
I don't think Studio DC is the future of the Muppets. It was just an introduction to a different group of people. It works in that sense. The online content represents what the future of the Muppets will be like. It is difficult to give such short clips any kind of an emotional center, which is why they might seem a bit wackier than, say, The Muppet Movie, but I think the characters are very much there. Gonzo hasn't been so Gonzo as he is in his YouTube video in a long time!

The potential is there to do great things. I've said it before, Kirk Thatcher and Jim Lewis are the perfect writers to get the Muppets back on track, and I think (or hope) Jason Segel helps with that as well. Kirk Thatcher is such a zany, funny writer, and I think Jim Lewis knows the characters pretty well. The Kermit bio was very good, and we'll see how "The Dive Code" and "It's Hard Out Here for a Shrimp" do. I hope they will be the ones writing the new Muppet specials... and I hope Bill Barretta will be directing. I think the three of them together are the best thing to happen to the Muppets since Jerry Juhl was still actively writing.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed, the potential is there. Now's the time to see if that potential is acted upon.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Indeed, the potential is there. Now's the time to see if that potential is acted upon.
Haven't we already pointed out that it IS being acted upon? With all the stuff I highlighted in the first post? Of course it's being acted on! Why else would there be the sudden push for new material if it WASN'T being acted on?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Haven't we already pointed out that it IS being acted upon? With all the stuff I highlighted in the first post? Of course it's being acted on! Why else would there be the sudden push for new material if it WASN'T being acted on?
Follow through, that's all we need :smile:. I have been disappointed by news flashes before :cry:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Of course it's being acted on! Why else would there be the sudden push for new material if it WASN'T being acted on?
To appease fans, only to fall back on things, as is traditional with a lot of stuff that is revived.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just saying that not everyone sees the same things..maybe classic doesn't exactly mean the same thing to everyone even if they watched them and are fans, we're all different :smile:.
The YouTube and Muppets.com bits are the closest thing to the Muppet Show sketches in years. That's what makes it classic because the Muppet Show started it all with this configuration of Muppets. Classic Muppets are Jim's Muppets. He set the standard so that’s what I reference. The word classic is thrown around liberally these days.

Maybe we should institute a coding like with comics' gold age, silver age, bronze age, post-bronze age etc?

Redsonga

Reaction score
The YouTube and Muppets.com bits are the closest thing to the Muppet Show sketches in years. That's what makes it classic because the Muppet Show started it all with this configuration of Muppets. Classic Muppets are Jim's Muppets. He set the standard so that’s what I reference. The word classic is thrown around liberally these days.

Maybe we should institute a coding like with comics' gold age, silver age, bronze age, post-bronze age etc?
Maybe..or we could grade each part of things, like a movie review, format: Classic, Story: Silver, Puppetery: post-bronze, Characterization: Silver..but even then, that would depend on the graders pov:sympathy:.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And each person perceives things differently.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was actually kidding. :embarrassed: There's really no POV on a classic. The original television series and first trilogy of motion pictures are the classics. Some fans prefer the newer projects or grew up with them (and there's nothing the least bit bad about that), but that has no bearing on the historical nature of the franchise.

There's that one cable channel (I think it's TNT) that labels recent films as "new classics" to attract viewers. With that criterion Kermit's Swamp Years or the Muppets Wizard of Oz could be considered new classics. Perspective is lost. Classic should = the original standard.

Sometimes I think you just like the debate. That's okay. I do too sometimes. :wink: