is Van Neuter gay???????

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
i have friends. some of them do happen to be gay. it doesn't define them, it's just part of who they are
Very well put

Salmoto

Reaction score
Well Dr. Phil is married to Mulch's sister......But anyway I am so sick of hearing questions like "Is Snagglepuss Gay?" "Is Spongebob and Squidward gay?" Every character past and present that shows a little flamboyance we label as a possible homosexual. Well, the truth is, we don't know......for creators of cartoons and conventions like the Muppets, this is a total non-issue. I think that this is a sad side-effect of our modern culture, that eyebrows are raised at anyone who doesn't fit the standard gender stereotype. I know I've been asked about my sexuality before, mostly over the loud shirts I wear, and a female friend of mine was asked about her's because she has short hair and wears jeans. Things like these hae led me to believe that we're not yet ready to accept homosexuality in general, and it's a shame having made so much progress in promoting tolerance over the years......

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i think you mean Spongebob & Patrick. i don't think they're gay, but i know that Squidwerd hates Spongebob's spongy guts

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, Good Grief!

How many times does this topic have to pop up?

Re: Ernie and Bert, they were rumored as such by a radio station and I forget where it is. I wrote and got a letter from (then Children's Television Workshop) Sesame Workshop that stated "Ernie and Bert are not now, never have been, nor ever will be portrayed as a gay couple. They show how easy it is to be friends despite their differences."

I'm sure that the same thing goes for every other Henson character, none portray "gay" at all, unless you're looking at pre-1960's terminology, in which gay means "Happy."

I think we'll know when the character is meant to be gay, because they were good about announcing the HIV+ African Muppet, right?

So, until then, can we chill with this old question and discuss it when it's announced?

I will if you will.

FOZ

beaker

Reaction score
I think Dr Phil is kind of like this Andy Dick type character, kind of unsure and tremblingly unaware.

The only Muppet that I have seen that *might* be considered possibly gay-ish, is the leader frog in the frog aqaurium in Kermit Swamp Years.

Muppet sexuality is indeed shown now and then...in kind of a reference sort of way. Look at Animal, very chick crazy. Or Floyd and Janice ongoing relationship.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
I think Dr Phil is kind of like this Andy Dick type character, kind of unsure and tremblingly unaware.
Believe you me, Andy Dick knows. He most certainly knows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
E-gad!!! Do these people get drunk or stoned and come up with weird crap like this at 2 am???? I hate when people make dumb assuptions like that! He is flamboyant as Andy Dick. Personally, I don't want to know more about him.

But the ERNIE AND BERT THING MAKES ME SO INCREDABLY ANGRY!!!!!! I cannot STAND that! Here's what I think:

Ernie is an adult who is in a perpetual state of child hood, a Peter Pan complex if you will. Kinda like PeeWee Herman, or Spongebob. He cannot think about women because he isn't emotionally at that state yet. Trust me! It happens!

Bert is like every single dateless Loser in America. He fills his void with Paper Clips and Bottle caps, and decided to become a pigeon fancier. He would go on a date with some gal if he could, but he can't, so he won't.

Besides! You can't talk about sex on a kid's show!

Natalie

Reaction score
About the Ernie and Bert thing, it just seemed so obvious to me. They live in an apartment at 123 SS and they share it. That means that they are roommates. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it quite common to have two guys who are best friends sharing an apartment in NYC? They don't have to be gay!

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
E-gad!!! Do these people get drunk or stoned and come up with weird crap like this at 2 am???? I hate when people make dumb assuptions like that! He is flamboyant as Andy Dick. Personally, I don't want to know more about him.
whoa there cowboy...dial it down a bit and start over.

first off, what "dumb assumptions" are you speaking of? this is a decent sized thread, if you don't specify, you're the one who looks silly. no offense, just the truth.

secondly, saying that someone must be "drunk or stoned"...yeah, bad idea. i understand you may have strong feelings one way or another, but that's just a respect thing. you wouldn't like it if it was said about you. i certainly didn't like it when it was said about me (seeing as i have never been, nor will i ever be, either one), and whoever you are commenting on probably doesn't appreciate it either.

we are all entitled to our opinions, that is a fact, and no one can or should take that away. but please, being a little more clear and polite works wonders, and keeps from hurt feelings. i'd hate to miss out on some of the great things others have to say because they are run off by someone getting a little excited and shooting off at the mouth. just remember, even though we can't actually SEE each other, doesn't mean the golden rule is not still in effect, so treat others as you yourself would like to be treated. that goes for everyone.

(man, i sound like my dad...sheesh)