Is there a pattern for a Kermit puppet?

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
Well I am 15, and I am in a Fashion Creation class, and since i am getting really well reading and making things from patterns (that are exact,with measurements) I would like to ask you guys to share your expertise on how to make a passible looking Kermit puppet. I can follow direction quite easily. Soo If anyone has certain Step-by-Step guide, or system they use to make this wonderful frog, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED~!:smile::smile::smile:

Nicky

Reaction score
If you mean full pattern as in to make a pro replica muppet worthy Kermit. There are none available.

Those who have made their own replcas that look authentic have most likely made their own patterns through trial and error and most wont let others use their plans/patterns.

Your best bet is (what you will hear a lot on these forums) is to buy a Kermit puppet (toy), and take it apart and look at the different segments.

Or you could get the Glorified Sock Puppet pattern from www.projectpuppet.com and use that to start you off.

Other than that you could just try yourself through a trial and error basis.

Hope this is in some way helpfull? :smile:

mrhogg

Reaction score
Strictly speaking that's true, but someone took a Master Replica Kermit apart, and photographed the pieces, then sent them to the folks over at Swazzle. It's on Flickr.

Finding the pattern is different from using the pattern, though; I think going with Project Puppet or something similar is a good idea, because in that case you're still making your own puppet, not a Kermit puppet (respecting intellectual property, and all that).

luther962

Reaction score
I have the MR Kermit replica, which in my book is as good as it gets. For our puppet ministry, I just buy cheap dolls (got Kermit for $9.00) on E-bay, do a little dissection and pull out the stuffing, new mouth boards and some foam to fill out the body and you have a decent puppet. I have done the same thing with a Zoe plush, and if I dare admit it on this forum, even to my Gonzo MR Photo Replica. I got him for under $90.00, and it costs almost $145.00 for a What Not from FAO. (it is actually very easy to modify Gonzo, it took me only about 4 hours from start to finish.) These are all officially licensed products, I just happen to modify them for my needs.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
For whatever unknown reason, people whom build puppets are very secretive about every aspect of it unfortunately.

You would think on a forum about puppet making people would be willing to help in this aspect because that is usually what forums are about (sharing experiences and information). But rather than that, most of what I have seen has been . . .

"design your own"
or
. . . . no response at all

There is stuff out there for free on the old Inter-webz but can be hard to find sometimes.

I can understand some of the people whom do this for money keeping their stuff a secret or selling their patterns because that is either a whole or part of their income.

So with all of that in mind it is almost going to be impossible to ask for help especially with a replica.

One would not bother buying a replica just to make a replica . . . . it kinda defeats the purpose.

Well you all know where Im going with this . . . . in puppet building secrecy prevails. Acclaim is given to those whom build good puppets and unfortunately some level of arrogance is shown to those whom "have to ask".

Fortunately I am not one of those as anyone can see by my previous posts and I will try to help if I can. That said, if I find a kermie pattern that is descent I will be forwarding it onto you.

Peace :smile:

luther962

Reaction score
The best way I found to get a pattern for a Muppet, is to buy a plush and use it as is or using a photocopier, blow it up to the size I need and use that as a pattern. I make them for my own needs and don't sell them like Oliver's, but that is one way of doing it. I have made my own from Project Puppet and it turned out good, they have good patterns, also there is a wonderful series on puppet making on Youtube with Paul? His videos really helped me get started making puppets--I just wish I could remember his full name?

practicecactus

Reaction score

Super Scooter

Reaction score
For whatever unknown reason, people whom build puppets are very secretive about every aspect of it unfortunately.
:smile:
People who build puppets aren't all that secretive. And, honestly, sometimes you have to do it yourself. There's a million ways to make a puppet, and it really boils down to trial and error. But, again, the puppet builders on here have been very helpful. I've learned A LOT about building puppets from this site. How to make removable arm rods, eyelid mechanisms, a good mouthplate... a whole bunch of other stuff, too!

I think the reason people could be "secretive" about a Kermit pattern is that... well, they could get into a heck of a lot of trouble providing one.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Lol

People who build puppets aren't all that secretive. And, honestly, sometimes you have to do it yourself. There's a million ways to make a puppet, and it really boils down to trial and error. But, again, the puppet builders on here have been very helpful. I've learned A LOT about building puppets from this site. How to make removable arm rods, eyelid mechanisms, a good mouthplate... a whole bunch of other stuff, too!

I think the reason people could be "secretive" about a Kermit pattern is that... well, they could get into a heck of a lot of trouble providing one.
Dont bother correcting someone in a condescending manner. Its not good cricket. Be constructive.

The proof is in the threads themselves. Secrecy prevails and always has in puppet making. If one were to read the threads as I mentioned they are full of "design one yourself" or "trial and error is the way" etc etc.

It does not have to be like that. If one were to make a good mouthplate and share that design then the people who modify that design may end up helping you back. The last mouthplate design thread I read consisted of an answer saying "design one yourself" . . . . The threads are full of this kind of thing and this is one thing that no one can refute because it is right there in plain text.

How can one get into trouble making Kermit?
Seriously . . .
thousands of people are downloading movies and music every day . . . it is unlikely that one would get into "a lot of trouble" for providing a way of making a great replica.

I think that the copyright people have much more to do than being concerned with someone making something from fabric unless they are mass producing it on a global scale.

One wonders if anyone has even heard of anyone else ever being charged with a copyright infringement over a puppet . . . You hear about it with the other media I mentioned constantly.

Oh BTW, quite relevant to our discussion is the smurf that is on projectpuppet.com . . . One may wonder why that has not gotten people into trouble, especially a commercial website.

blah.