1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Is there a link between Fraggle Rock and the Dark Crystal?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Infinity Sirius, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I was watching Fraggle Rock Season 2 with the episode where Sidebottom, Boober's fun and wild side is introduced. To introduce the other Fraggles to Sidebottom, Booberasks them all to share his dream. They do this by touching their heads together as they sleep or dream-sharing I think in the same episode or another one from this season, Uncle Matt goes to a movie theater and watches the Dark Crystal. In DC, the Gelfings and share memories/images with each other by touching hands.

This made me wonder if Fraggles and Gelfings are somehow related, though distantly, to each other. Any thoughts?
  2. VIsraWrats

VIsraWrats New Member

:smirk: Well seeing that The Dark Crystal exists as a movie in the Fraggle universe I'd have to say that they are not related... but the whole dream sharing thing could very well have been inspired by The Dark Crystal.
    muppetfan24/7 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  3. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

That's a good point Infinity Sirius. I think they could be.
  4. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

Actually.. there is... Not a big fan of the Dark Crystal so i can't point out the characters... but there are creatures in the Dark Crystal, that Jim Henson wanted the Fraggles to look like... THANK GOD he changed his mind.
  5. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

The Podlings?

Wow.

Considering I find the Podlings creepy and unsettling, I would say that's a good thing. Where did you hear that, CoOKiE?
  6. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

I THINK it was on one of the DVD's as extras... not positive at all where i heard it.. but i remember it being offical Ask Foodie. Hes a HUGE fan of Fraggles, he'd know.
  7. VIsraWrats

VIsraWrats New Member

Not exactly. Henson didn't wan't the fraggles to look like podlings. He originally wanted to call the podlings fraggles. You just had your facts a bit mixed up. ;)
  8. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

i didn't know what the creatures were... but i coulda sworn it was the other way around... o well lol
  9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It is ironic that one epsiode showed a clip from The Dark Crystal as opposed to The Muppet Movie or The Great Muppet Caper. If it was one of the other two then Hit! might have had to cut that scene.
  10. The 11th UrRu

The 11th UrRu Member

Thats a great observation. I think its very possible that Jim might have got the idea from the Dark Crystal considering the two projects were produced relatively close together, but I dont think they were meant to be part of the same world. Could you imagine Doc answering the doorbell only to find Skeskis waiting for him? Maybe he'd send him next door to give Ned Shimilfinny a hard time...
  11. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

There's an idea...
  12. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

It's weird to read an older thread and see that I posted in it!

Since this is bumped, the only real connection I can think of - Doc's real name is Jerome Crystal. Or... Doc Crystal.
  13. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

The Dark Crystal... is well dark. I'm personally glad, that Jim didn't model the Fraggles after its characters. Fraggle Rock was intended for all audiences, but Dark Crystal is known for startling many children. That being said, I love the Dark Crystal.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Most of the set of Dark Crystal does look a lot like the set of Fraggle Rock
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

16. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I guess so, but Fraggles (as a whole I'm not forgetting Genie or the Terrible Tunnel)is mostly cutesy, as opposed to the 90% dark Dark Crystal.
  17. Tom Fraggle

Tom Fraggle Active Member

After reading every post here, I have to agree with this post.

One thing I want to add though, anyone else ever notice that Marlon Fraggle's voice sounds just like one of those Skeksis? Creepy eh?
  18. Tom Fraggle

Tom Fraggle Active Member

You know, now that you mention it, I recall wondering if Fizzgig was in an episode of Fraggle Rock. I believe you are right, cause I remember watching Fraggle Rock and on one episode going, "Hey, that looks like ole Fizzgig."
  19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Jerry Nelson told me in a MC chat around Nov/Dec 1998 that it was indeed Fizzgig, or at least one of the puppets/puppet templates used for DC. Perhaps not an official crossover, more akin to Puppet Up and Stuffed and Unstrung using official Muppet puppets for their own use
  20. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Your're right, Beaker! When I watched the episode, "I Don't Care" of FR, I did see Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal while Boober was singing his song, "Get Blue." Thank you for the heads up. You're smart!