Is 'Of Muppets & Men' worth the money?

SeanC

Reaction score
I've been thinking of picking up a copy of this book. There's a lot of used copies out there from places like Amazon Marketplace or Abebooks, with $50 being about the cheapest I've seen it going for ( and the price goes up to about $200 in some cases ). While I certainly wouldn't pay a three figure sum for it, I'd be inclined to go for one of the 'cheaper' copies if I knew it was worth it. For those who have a copy - is it as good a book as I've heard?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yes, it is a great book, but I wouldnt pay more than $50 for it.Just be patient and save it as a search on ebay and wait for them to turn up.Eventually you will find one for the right price.

Gonzo's Chicken

Reaction score
It is an excellent book, but be patient. A couple years ago I decided I needed a copy so I started watching ebay and got a copy in perfect condition for $25.

Convincing John

Reaction score
If you can, see if it might be at your local library. Then you can see just how much of a treasure this book is.

I think all Muppet fans are in agreement that this is one of the best Muppet books ever written. It's right up there with the new Sesame Street 40th Anniversary Book that just came out and "The Works".

Good luck on your search!:smile:

Convincing John

SeanC

Reaction score
If you can, see if it might be at your local library.
Convincing John
I actually work at my local library so already know it's not there :smile:
But we DO have 'The Works' - and a great book it is too.
I've searched the library catalog for my entire city and sadly, none of the 22 branch libraries have a copy of 'Of Muppets & Men'. But I'll get hold of it someday :zany:

SeanC

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, folks!
I saw a copy on Ebay today for $39.99 and decided to take the plunge. Condition is described as 'good' with light library markings. Based on past experience of ordering items from the US, it'll take about a week or so to reach me here in Ireland. Looking forward to reading it!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi SeanC

Just read this post. I live in the UK and have a spare copy of this book. Shame you already bought one, the postage would have been cheaper from the UK.

Well done though, its a GREAT book, you wont regret buying it.

Chris

SeanC

Reaction score
Hi SeanC

Just read this post. I live in the UK and have a spare copy of this book. Shame you already bought one, the postage would have been cheaper from the UK.

Well done though, its a GREAT book, you wont regret buying it.

Chris
I'll have to admit that the cost of postage was... considerable. "It's a very large book," they said. Oh well... :smile:
But I'm sure there's going to be another new fan along soon enough who'll only be too happy to take that second copy off your hands. Always new people discovering The Muppets!

SeanC

Reaction score
Well, to answer my own question, yes!

My copy arrived yesterday after a slightly longer wait than I expected - a mail slowdown caused by that pesky volcanic ash cloud. The book is in better condition than the Ebay seller described, just the odd little mark here and there and what looks like an old coffee stain on page 21. The dustcover is faded slightly around the spine, as if it was left in direct sunlight for a few years, but aside from that it's fine. It's ex-library, having once belonged to Robeson County Public Library, South Carolina.
Spent this evening browsing it from cover to cover and enjoying the many wonderful photos within. I love that Muppet group photo on page 160. I've seen small versions of it online, but it looks great when blown up to the ( very large ) dimensions of this book.
It's a really well presented tome with an excellent layout. I look forward to giving it a proper read over the weekend. It is quite huge though - have to say I was shocked when I saw the size of the package it turned up in!
At the moment it sits proudly on my bookshelf squeezed in between 'The Art of Disney' ( also by Christopher Finch ) and 'The Art of Totoro' :zany:
Glad I decided to take the plunge!