Is Jerry Nelson still performing?

Splurge

Reaction score
Maybe I haven't been properly keeping up.

I know his characters in the new Christmas special were performed by others while he contributed his voice. But he hasn't retired, has he?

Maybe if you're reading this, Jerry (or "Scred" :smile: ) you can directly shine some light on this.

Ryan

Reaction score
Occasionally. He performed Herry in "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays!"

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Jerry is still very much an active performer.

He has taped a number of appearances for the upcoming season of Sesame Street and continues to perform his classic Muppet characters whenever he can.

secret squirrel

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Don't you just love our mystery posters? :wink:
Yup, gotta love 'em.

And (I'm sorry, I can't resist this...):

Hey, Secret Squirrel! Where's Morroco Mole? :wink:

-Kim

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
Jerry is still very much an active performer.

He has taped a number of appearances for the upcoming season of Sesame Street and continues to perform his classic Muppet characters whenever he can.

Really? So he's been performing the Count in those new sequences where he plays the organ to find out the number of the day? I saw a few of those not long ago and I thought the Count's voice sounded different and thought someone else was probably performing him now. Not that it would automatically mean it's not him. Caroll Spinney gave Big Bird a different voice after the first season, and Dan Castanelleta's voice for Homer Simpson didn't originally sound as slow and dull now and as it now has for the last twelve or so seasons.

And the performer list at ToughPigs.com says nothing about an alternate performer for the Count.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry did indeed perform the Count for this season of Sesame. As we all get older, our voices change and those changes are naturally reflected in a character's performance as well.

Ryan

Reaction score
Yeah, take Frank Oz, for instance. Very different voice indeed.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by swedish chefs
In VMMC Robin and Statler sounded weird.
i think jerry performed them both, or did the voices for them in the movie..i maybe wrong..

ryan