Is it Sam Robot or Machine?

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
alot of people here say its machine but in the star wars episode, big bird says "C3P0 your a machine like a car or Sam the ROBOT". im comnfused<------i even spelled confused wrong

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I thought a robot is a machine. I guess he's both.

mikealan

Reaction score
I remembered Sam the Robot. He was a strange-looking Muppet that was shown on old Sesame Street books I got when I was a little kid. Sam can be shown on the Sesame Street Dictionary. He was only found on the P and R sections. He was on the word, "robot" where he played jump-rope with Bert and Ernie. He was also on two P words were "perfect" and "plant". In the plant part, Sam tries to water the plants while Prairie Dawn taught us how the plant grows, and in the perfect part, he says, "I am a machine. I am perfect. I do not make mistakles...mistooks...mistics..." I was wondering WHY he was a machine! A robot is a machine, duh!

Whenever Sam's on the old SS books, he appeared on stories where he talked with Maria about her shoes and he shows Big Bird how many five is on the storybook, the "Sesame Street 1-2-3 Storybook". The live shot of him was weird on volume fifteen of the Sesame Street Library.

As if I got the Sesame Street Unpaved book, it only had one photo of Sam in the Whatever Happened To? section. I think I know why Sam is not in the muppeteers section...maybe it's because he wasn't spoken. I discovered some photos of Sam meeting the second Gordon and Susan from the 1972 episode that you guys posted on your old Muppet Central Forum. Now, as I only saw only one small clip featuring Sam at the Museum of Television and Radio, he says, "Hi, Luis!" in Bob's voice as Luis comes out of the Fix-It-Shop on episode #536. My inside reminded me of huge steel-made Muppets on the street, and I think he scare the heck out of me!

I think that Sam is not with all of the Muppets, just only Big Bird and Oscar, and he'd hung around with the human characters during early SS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
DOesn't SAM stand for Super Automated Machine?

So it'd be like saying Super Automated Machine the machine. Redundant. I prefer Sam the Robot, since he is a robot, and a robot IS a machine. Though a machine doesn't necisarrily have to be a robot.

Now I'm confused....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by punkNpuppets
hold it, Sesame Street DICTIONARY??? what's that?
There are two versions of the Sesame Street Dictionary. Basically, it's a neat picture dictionary where you've got a whole array of Sesame Street characters in little skits showing the meanings of various words from A to Z. An entry would typically consist of: 1. Word, in lowercase at the top of the segment panel, 2. Definition, what the word's definition is, and 3. Segment, or the Sesame Street character doing a little sketch with dialogue showing what the word itself means in actual practice.
There are two versions of the book like I said. The first is the entire Sesame Street Dictionary in a hardcover red binding with Ernie on the outside cover. In the inside covers, there are Muppet characters hanging out in differently rainbow-colored capital and lowercase letters. For example, Herry Monster sits on the letter S playing a saxophone. The second version are eight different volumes breaking up the dictionary into groupings, like Vol. 4 has the letters H to K. These individual volumes feature little stories or games at the end of each letter division in the dictionary. The last two pages are a conversation of Big Bird and Little Bird as they talk about the fun they had reading that particular dictionary volume.

Hope this helps.