is "doin' the pigeon" edited on video?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On the Songs From The Street album, the song Doin' The Pigeon, the song opens with this line:

"Every time when I'm feel alone and slightly blue,
That's when I begin to think that's what i'd like start to do,
and even though it may not be your cup of tea, I reccommend this little dance you're gonna see."

This opening line is also in the lyrics in Sesame Street Unpaved, and possibly other audio recordings. However, in every video release of that song (in Sing-Along, Dance-Along, Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration, and What's The name of That Song?), that line is not included.

So, was it originally in the show, or is it only heard in audio recordings? If it is edited on video, then does anybody know why?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sometimes they performs songs specifically to be shown on the show, and then they might perform slightly different versions specifically for audio purposes. (You'll noticed that on Songs from the Street, Monster in the Mirror is cut short).

BEAR

Reaction score
I agree. A lot of times they will edit songs for tv (or audio, depending) or they have different versions. I know that I have heard different versions of "Dance Myself to Sleep" on tv and on my recording because some of Bert's lines are different.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I agree. A lot of times they will edit songs for tv (or audio, depending) or they have different versions. I know that I have heard different versions of "Dance Myself to Sleep" on tv and on my recording because some of Bert's lines are different.
When this song was included on the album "The Best of Ernie", none of berts dialog was included, but when it was included on "Jim Hensons Sesame Street celebration", Berts dialog was heard but most of it was different from the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
(You'll noticed that on Songs from the Street, Monster in the Mirror is cut short).
Do you mean longer, or are you referring to another song?

I have noticed that on that album, there is a verse not in the non-celebrity version on the show, where the monsters sings a chorus of "wubba wubba wubba wubba woo woo woo", ans so on. In the celebrity version of this song, that part was included, but on the show (or at least on both video releases of the non-celebrity version of that song) it is not there.

Of course, I do think that Put Down The Duckie is cut short. On the Songs From The Street album, the part where Hoots says "Don't have to put in on a train. Don't have to wash it down the drain. Don't have to put it in a drawer. Don't have to put it out the door. Don't have to put it in your pocket. or send it flying on a rocket. Don't have to get it out of town. Ernie, put the duckie down!" was not in the audio version, but in the brief clip of this song in the 25th anniversary video, that line was there, and that clip was obviously not from the celebrity version.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, Monster in the Mirror was cut short on the album. Towards the middle and the end of the song where some of the verses were repeated were cut on the album. (And it didn't feature the celebrities.