Is Abby's Flying Fairy School on it's way out?

ssetta

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that there have not been any new Abby's Flying Fairy School sketches this season? That's usually a sign that it's being phased out, and if that's the case, I think that's a good thing, as I can never manage to sit through that thing. But the thing is, I'm guessing they will probably keep it on until they replace it with something else. After they got rid of sketches like Monster Clubhouse and Journey to Ernie back in Season 35 or so, they just replaced it with filler material, like they did back in the golden era of the show, but then that turned out not to go well, so I doubt that will be the case.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They have stopped production on it because, for the most part, it wasn't exactly a cheap segment. Had it been, we'd certainly not have to have sit through the same episodes 3 times in a single season the time it premiered. Seriously, this whole "CGI is a cheap substitute for ______" is bull. It's expensive as heck, especially for a regular TV series. And, this cannot be stressed enough, Sesame Workshop doesn't have the most large of budgets. They're going to repeat them to fill time and because they want their money's worth. Hopefully it will take a cue from Elmo's World, and this is just the last season we'll see this segment. We just have to slog through more repeat footage.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I say they either dump AFFS and make a new Abby segment (if they want to keep her in the daily rotation) or sub it with Great Adventures and just fill in the extra 4 minutes with other material.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. Dump it or make new ones. Same with Super Grover 2.0. Making Abby a daily rotation thing was not the best move they could have made. It's not a bad segment at all, but you can only hear the same Zha Zha Gabor reference so many times before it stops being funny.

Bridget

Reaction score
Please do not get me wrong, Abby is my heart! But I wouldn't mind this segment leaving Sesame Street. In my opinion it's just so... irrelevant. I know we are in modern days now... but this segment is just so silly and bizarre, that it hurts. I say either replace it, or dump it. Sorry!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I agree, and then add to the fact that all but Abby are not see on the street it's kind of confusing. I really would love to see fairy school and replace it with something that will bring out more Street Characters. I mean for goodness sakes where is Big Bird this season?

Bridget

Reaction score
I agree, and then add to the fact that all but Abby are not see on the street it's kind of confusing. I really would love to see fairy school and replace it with something that will bring out more Street Characters. I mean for goodness sakes where is Big Bird this season?
Not to post off topic, but you are exactly right! So far, not so much of him. Perhaps Carroll is a tad busy with other things at the moment?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street was trying to become a... how do I explain this, as it confuses even me?

Internationally, Sesame Street has become a half hour programming block of Sesame Street related characters. And I feel these segments are supposed to be made for the American show, while having the international market in mind. Now, they say that they want Sesame Street to be a programming block to compete with the other programming blocks on cable (bull because they've had those blocks for years before), but I swear it's more of a brand unity to make the original show similar to what the international markets want. Only an hour instead of half that.

Abby was no doubt made with the international markets in mind. Bert and Ernie's great Adventures was made entirely for the international market (a good half haven't even been seen in the US), and they just happened to use some of the segments for the US series.

As for the segment itself, I really enjoy it, but it does indeed feel like it's from a spinoff, rather than the show itself. My main problems with it however are A) it's 9 minutes long (and some close editing could have fixed some of the earlier installments) and B) it has to appear in every episode where as Super Grover 2.0 (as overreused as it is), B&EGA, and Crummy Pictures all alternate irregularly (and are half the length).

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about that segment at all, one of the reasons is the same segments play over and over and over again. I wouldn't miss that segment at all if it gets dropped.