Invisible puppeteers?

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
This is actually a very, very old puppetry technique...the Muppets have been using variations of it since the 1960s. Stage puppeteers have been doing variations of this live using special lighting and black curtains for at least a century.

Here's a neat video of Paul McGuiness, Eric Wright and Haley Jenkins demonstrating it (not Muppets, but they've all worked with the Muppets or on Sesame Street at various times)

WOW! thankyou!

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
They also use radio control, like them riding bikes, so the Puppeteers aren't there at all!
Realy? radio control? I watched the movie "The World of Jim Henson"(you can find it on youtube) and they say that riding bike is done by marionettes.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Realy? radio control? I watched the movie "The World of Jim Henson"(you can find it on youtube) and they say that riding bike is done by marionettes.
The bikes were controlled like marionettes(cables) but the Muppets were totally robotic on long shots.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Here is a youtube clip of behind the scenes of "Muppets Take Manhatten" which briefly shows Jim Henson working Kermit by radio control and also the rats.

piggy989piggy

Reaction score
Here is a youtube clip of behind the scenes of "Muppets Take Manhatten" which briefly shows Jim Henson working Kermit by radio control and also the rats.
Ok,you realy WOWED me this time!

I had no idea such things exist in the muppets aspecially the scene whene jim is remotly controlling kermit...

You know,I adore miss piggy and it looks like you know about the muppets realy well definetly more then I do,so I would love it if you could tell me some information and post videos about the mechanics and some other things used on misspiggy that you think can be interesting to me or usefull for the my piggy project

By the way you realy dont have to do that if you dont feel like doing this than dont I'l totaly understand it if you wont, but if you do wanna do me a favour I'l be very thankfull!:smile:

muppetperson

Reaction score
Ok,you realy WOWED me this time!

I had no idea such things exist in the muppets aspecially the scene whene jim is remotly controlling kermit...

You know,I adore miss piggy and it looks like you know about the muppets realy well definetly more then I do,so I would love it if you could tell me some information and post videos about the mechanics and some other things used on misspiggy that you think can be interesting to me or usefull for the my piggy project

By the way you realy dont have to do that if you dont feel like doing this than dont I'l totaly understand it if you wont, but if you do wanna do me a favour I'l be very thankfull!:smile:
Thanks. I will try if I can, but only know the basics.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
For a lot of the radio controlled puppets they'll use what's called a Waldo.
Jim's testing out this rig to later be used by Steve Whitmire for performing Waldo C. Graphic on the Jim Henson Hour.
Richard Hunt can also be seen using the device in this behind the scenes clip from Fraggle Rock. That one is more along the lines of what Jim was using to control Kermit in the previous clip.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I think the earliest use of that is of when Jim did the Cloverland Dairy Commercial! apparently the earliest form of Chroma key back in those days.

Of course Let's not forget the First time it happens from the Great Muppet Caper (Specifically the part where they Show Miss Piggy Dancing from the Waist Down)