International skits on Youtube...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Episode 1 of Sesamstrasse, which is just a dubbed version of SS, as it was in its early years.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I really like the German version of the "city alphabet" sketch (seen in part 3), though I wish the music wasn't so quiet so I could hear it better. :frown:

EmMonster

Reaction score
Just so you know, I'll be uploading foreign SS clips all this month! (Look at my sig for the link).
Wow, I'm subscribed to you! Cool running into you here.
Anyway, someone already posted the pollution song from Takalani Sesame, but their YouTube channel also posted two skits from Plaza Sesamo on washing your hands (They made it because of the swine flu):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmu3PtJVNY&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6E3T2HQfw&feature=related

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's Telefonrock (Telephone Rock in German).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRSkjf2VfV4

AGGGHHHHH! See! See? Doesn't that sound terribly awkward and wrong? I'm still waaaayy too afraid to click that link.

There are songs that only one person/group can sing right. And unless I hear a good cover, the Pointer Sisters are the only ones that make it work.
The main problem with dubbing the pinball sketches stems from the fact that most in most languages, the numbers 1 to 12 have way too many syllables, so the dubbers have to squeeze them in so they would fit the rhythm of the song, not to mention the singers they hire can't sing for crap. There are a few exceptions, such as the Dutch and Norwegian versions of the sketch (the former being removed due to Clausule's suspension :cry:), as they are done really well. The numbers fit in the song, plus the singers actually sound professional.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The main problem with dubbing the pinball sketches stems from the fact that most in most languages, the numbers 1 to 12 have way too many syllables, so the dubbers have to squeeze them in so they would fit the rhythm of the song, not to mention the singers they hire can't sing for crap.
Funny thing is, most of the Hebrew skits didn't sound quite as awful as that one did... didn't quite like how Grover sounded singing "Monster in the Mirror" they seem to have given him a really bad Ed Wynne impersonation. Of course, the "Wash your Hands before you Eat" song, I remember that one sounded pretty good, and even sounded funnier, keeping the Oompah Oompah rhythm of the song.

I did notice a couple skits were actually altered into other languages... I wish I had an example, but the Mexican Spanish dub of "I Believe in Little Things" was turned into a poem read over the music of the original song. Seemed to keep the same beauty in tact, dispite the fact it was different. Then of course, I think the German Sesame actually changed the tune of several of their dubbed songs (I can vouch that Rebel L had a much different tune).

All and all, it reminds me of the French Animaniacs theme song. In character, they couldn't carry the tune in a bucket... but if you watch the show dubbed, the voices really fit the characters, Wakko sounding almost exactly the same as the American voice actor.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Then of course, I think the German Sesame actually changed the tune of several of their dubbed songs (I can vouch that Rebel L had a much different tune).
Maybe they weren't provided with clean copies of the original songs, or they probably thought the originals didn't sound good enough, so they just composed new music.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Here's Telefonrock (Telephone Rock in German).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRSkjf2VfV4

The main problem with dubbing the pinball sketches stems from the fact that most in most languages, the numbers 1 to 12 have way too many syllables, so the dubbers have to squeeze them in so they would fit the rhythm of the song, not to mention the singers they hire can't sing for crap. There are a few exceptions, such as the Dutch and Norwegian versions of the sketch (the former being removed due to Clausule's suspension :cry:), as they are done really well. The numbers fit in the song, plus the singers actually sound professional.
Norwegian and Dutch are both related closely to English, so the number-words are less likely to lose the right rhythm in translation. The Hebrew dubbing, on the other hand, was a musical train wreck: very few of the number-words fit the rhythm of the "Pinball Count" song. (The Hebrew "Jazz Number" clips at least used a performer with a decent singing voice and sense of rhythm; even when the counting didn't scan, the mismatches didn't sound as awkward.)

UFOfirefly

Reaction score
Ernie81981,

I've been learning Dutch on my own for the last four years. I learned French in school, so I speak it almost fluently

Anyway, the Dutch word "gaan" means "to go" in English. The word for again is "nog."

UFOfirefly

Reaction score
This is really weird to know that "Sesame Tree" isn't in english. If you go to their website it's in english. Even the characters have accents. But "Me Lost Me Cookie At The Disco" would be in english and not in whatever langue that is. But cool finds Drtooth. At first when you mentioned Moishe Oofnik with some guy with a gutiar. I thought it might be "Tommie" from "Sesamstraat" just because he has almost the same color as just a little bit lighter then Oofnik. And didn't even no that Oofnick was still with the newer cast of "Shalom Sesame." That is really cool to see him still at it. I've always wonder would Oofnick ever want to come and visit Oscar since them two are cousins and all. Thanks agian for the videos. Here are a few Sesamstraat that i've been watching.

Pino talk to Lex about him planting a dead tree and how it will grow into a big tree someday. (1985 or 86')

Tommie invents Zingdoos since he has no money to buy Lex a gift for his birthday.

Frank sings "Only to School Gaan" backup with Pino, Tommie and Ieniemienie. (sorry but my dictioary couldn't tell me what Gaan means, but could it mean again?)
I forgot to press the quote button when I just posted the below message. I think that will put it into a better context for you.

Hi Ernie81981,

I've been learning Dutch on my own for the last four years. I learned French in school, so I speak it almost fluently

Anyway, the Dutch word "gaan" means "to go" in English. The word for again is "nog."