International Englishes

luvtosr

Reaction score
I'm a Brit, lots of you aren't. We all speak different varieties of English and sometimes it just doesn't translate. On the various forums I'm on I keep getting confused as to what people are talking about so this thread is for asking for cross-Englishes translations.

Anyway, at the moment I have two questions (though one may not be entirely down to location, more just a lack of knowledge).

1. What is 'broiling'
2. What are milk duds (sp?)

And for anyone interested.

Molasses(US) = Treacle(UK)
Rutabaga(US) = Swede(UK)

I know, you all think I'm really sad now but in my defence I am doing an English degree and want to be an English teacher - I'm just that sort of a person.

D'Snowth said:
Here's what I was told, Canadian bacon is just ordinary ham.
Ham like a hock of ham or ham like gammon?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
broiling is a form of cooking. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know it's some sort of cooking something. milk duds, I think are candy. But don't quote me on it. And I don't think it's sad at all, I actually think it's interesting. I mean, there's different words for the same thing within the US. Like, I think most people refer to carbonated beverages as "soda," but I call them "pop." And I think there's some place(s?) where no matter what company makes it, it's "coke." Also, I've heard that in Wisconsin, drinking fountains are called "bubblers," but I could be wrong.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
1. What is 'broiling'
2. What are milk duds (sp?)
1. Broiling is one of the many ways of cooking meat. Usually broiled meat has kind of a smoked taste to it.
2. They're kind of like malted milk balls. They're just milk-chocolate candied balls.

As for your ham question, it's just a slice of ham.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I don't know what Canadian bacon is, but up here you can buy back bacon, which is a particular cut.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Milk duds are chocolate covered candy. They are pretty good, but I don't see them everywhere a lot.

Oh, and here is something sadder for you.. I am in the US and have never even had or do I know what Molasses is..

luvtosr

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
2. They're kind of like malted milk balls. They're just milk-chocolate candied balls.
Hmmm, sounds like Maltesers. It's just soooo many US produced tv shows/films mention them (especially when people go to the pictures) I really felt the need to know what they were.

Thanks for the broiling info too. :big_grin:

And as for bacon/ham we have back, streaky, joint and green bacon. and then we have Ham joints/hocks, gammon ham (the kind you serve with an egg or pineapple) and sliced cold ham. It's all very confusing. :confused:

Ernie101 said:
Oh, and here is something sadder for you.. I am in the US and have never even had or do I know what Molasses is..
Hehehe, I just told you it's treacle - not to be confused with golden syrup which is often called treacle because it's used in things like treacle tart...I just remembered actually, I think Americans call golden syrup 'corn syrup.'Hmmm.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ernie101 said:
Milk duds are chocolate covered candy. They are pretty good, but I don't see them everywhere a lot.

Molasses is basically a thick syrup. Ever hear the expression "slow as molasses"?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
If you cook things in a crock pot I believe you would call that broiling.

I don't even know what Rutabaga is.

As for some general differences between the canucks and the yanks, I can name a few:
We measure distances in how long it takes to get there (oh, town X is 20 minutes away), not in how many units of measure away
Tuques, not winter hats (and baseball hats are called caps, don't know if that's a difference or not)
pop not soda
we call it the U.S., they call it America
couch not sofa (or chesterfield if you're old :wink: )

There are a million more, I'm sure you could find a site just about differences between Canada and the U.S. OH and the most important:
Kraft Dinner, not Kraft Macaroni and Cheese